Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#56202 - 10/07/05 04:16 PM 990 not taking off like 950??
chi-town Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Is it me but it seems as though the 990 is slow to take off - not popular at all at the moment. I remember the 950 took off immediately..

#56203 - 10/07/05 06:52 PM Re: 990 not taking off like 950??
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello chi-town,

I'm not sure how you've come up with that conclusion, but the Model 990 has taken off quicker than any product in our history. In fact, based on current sales we're concerned about our ability to keep up with demand during the holidays. Keep in mind, the Model 990 announcement came just a few weeks before we started shipping.

Best,

Scott

#56204 - 10/07/05 09:53 PM Re: 990 not taking off like 950??
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 950 was heavily publicized prior to its release (and by prior I mean on the order of a year or so, with the reservation list opening almost four months before the first batch shipped), so by the time it started shipping it had already been the source of much discussion. That was not necessarily a good thing, as many people had a lot of time to begin hoping for features and performance far beyond what could reasonably be packed into $900 at the time, leading to some people who really were down on the 950. The 990 was announced on April 1, and the first 990's started reaching consumers less than six weeks later. It seems to have been a great success for the Outlaws.

#56205 - 10/08/05 01:12 PM Re: 990 not taking off like 950??
chi-town Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Well - I love to be wrong in this case because my only basis was going through multiple HT forums and this one also and not being able to hear so much about it - now Im not knocking Outlaw for anything and the reason I am even posting is that I have a friend who has the 950 and the Outlaw 7 x 200 amp and it was rediculously great sounding for the dollar amount. People were raving all over the place - heck - the used ones that come out in Audiogon dont even last long - maybe a day or so and SOLD!!! which speaks volumes...Im just probably hungrier now to get a PrePro that is the next big rave such as the popularity of the original Outlaw 950 - I guess that would be undaungting task.

I have been itching to buy a Lexicon MC-1 but man, the Outlaw 990 seems have it almost all..

If there is anyone in the Chicago area that may have this 990, Id love to audition it along with finding out what amp is driving your speakers.

Sorry if I offended the Outlaw community - I just a person who requires a BIGGER SALES PITCH on this unit..hope it comes along the way...

btw..Ive edited the subject line with a question mark to it - so that it doesnt seem to brute - it wasnt my intention.

#56206 - 10/08/05 01:51 PM Re: 990 not taking off like 950??
gonk Offline
Desperado

No offense taken here. I wish you luck in getting an audition of the 990 - it's a great sounding piece of gear.

#56207 - 10/12/05 09:26 AM Re: 990 not taking off like 950??
jhunt1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Yarmouth, ME
Gonk, just a couple of questions so please don't get defensive.
Are you in any way affiliated with Outlaw other then from a consumer stand point? Do you or have you ever received any kind of compensation or kick back in the form of $ or equipment etc... from Outlaw?

#56208 - 10/12/05 03:42 PM Re: 990 not taking off like 950??
gonk Offline
Desperado

John - No need to be defensive (I hope). As I've said on a number of other occasions, I am a mechanical engineer in Memphis, TN. I design HVAC systems for a wide variety of commercial, institutional, and industrial buildings - pretty far removed from the consumer electronics world. I got into the home theater hobby in large part because of Outlaw's second product (the Model 1050), and have enjoyed a number of Outlaw's products in the years since. As for compensation or kick-back, I have done a spot of beta testing for them (anybody remember the ill-fated but quite nifty IR1000?) and I do occasionally chat with Scott - does that count?

I assume your question stems from my active role in the Saloon. When this forum was created, I was still something of a newcomer to the hobby, but I'd been climbing the learning curve aggressively over the previous year or so and found that there were people asking questions here that I could answer - in many cases, questions that I'd been asking myself not too long before and knew how hard it could be sometimes to find clear answers to. I've been hanging out ever since. Some days, I've been able to help people solve problems and better understand the hobby. Other days, I've learned very neat stuff from other folks here - I enjoy being part of a community that is welcoming to newcomers with very basic questions and that has some well-informed discussion of more complex topics.

#56209 - 10/12/05 05:39 PM Re: 990 not taking off like 950??
Relentless Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago,IL
where in Chicago are you?
i am on the northside and have a 990.

#56210 - 10/13/05 02:29 PM Re: 990 not taking off like 950??
chi-town Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I live in Joliet but just moved there...I work in the city and constantly up there..so driving is no big deal for me

#56211 - 10/13/05 04:50 PM Re: 990 not taking off like 950??
Relentless Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago,IL
i am in the middle of replacing my subs.i am on a waiting list for the new ones an i figure i am three weeks away from my turn to get them.music in full range sounds great on my speakers but the LFE is lacking on movies right now.if you are in a hurry to listen to the pre/pro you are welcome too but if you want the full experiance it will be i few weeks....

reply here or E-Mail me.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 211 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM