Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#56104 - 09/26/05 03:09 PM Phono performance
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
The phono input was the reason I bought the 990 over any other HT pre-pro except the Sherwood Newcastle P965 (and the 990's cheaper). So I'm wondering who else out there still plays LPs. I've been impressed with the sound - more detailed and better bass than my Adcom TPA500, just like the sound on the other inputs. The only improvement I could wish for - other than a moving coil capability so I could used more expensive cartridges than I can afford! - is about 10db more gain, so I don't have to boost the volume to play a record. Any comments from other vinyl-loving outlaws?

#56105 - 09/26/05 04:52 PM Re: Phono performance
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
I finally bit the bullet and sold off all my vinyl. I ended up getting an average of about a dollar or two a piece for a couple thousand LPs. It just got to be silly carting them around when I hadn't owned a turntable in 10+ years. 8-)

I would imagine that good cartridges are getting expensive now that the volume of sales has shrunk so dramatically. What does a good moving coil cart go for these days?

Cheers,

#56106 - 09/26/05 05:34 PM Re: Phono performance
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
i sold off my vinyl in the early 90's.a couple months ago i was in a repair shop that had just rebuilt some vintage JBLs,the guy fired 'em up with a tube amp and norah jones on vinyl and you know,it's been so long,i really can't say much about it,i've been so used to the sharp edge of cds.

but, i do prefer the sound of my tube d/a converter to anything else i own(or have heard lately)

#56107 - 09/26/05 09:39 PM Re: Phono performance
Mike in Virginia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lansdowne, Virginia
I still have a hundred or so "records" that I hadn't listened to in 15 years when I bought my 990. So I reconditioned my 1219, bought a new cartridge for $150 or so, and have started to listen again. I'm just as happy listening at a lower-than-normal listening volume. At some point I'll get a DVD/CD recorder and make copies, but for now I enjoy the nostalgia, and in some cases, the sound itself.
Outlaw LCR center
Oppo OPDV971H DVD
LiteOn 5005 DVD recorder
SA 8300HD/DVR STB
Dual 1219 phono
Ion Tape2PC USB
Harmony 620
Samsung HLR5078W

#56108 - 09/27/05 12:58 AM Re: Phono performance
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Glad to hear you too use the phono input, Mike in Virginia. I don't mind boosting the volume 10 db or so to play records, as long as I remember to turn it back down before switching to other inputs. And with the quality of the 990 phono preamp, I'm not so sure digital sources all sound better: there's a hard-to-describe richness about LP sound, not in every case, but often. I have read lots of explanations why that can't be true, but they lose credibility when I simply listen.
One difference I've noticed, is that the stereo image from LPs is somehow less sweet-spot-sensitive than from most digital sources. From a bit off to the side when listening to a CD - from my own player or FM - the sound is usually distinctly off-balance to the point where I want to reset the channel levels. (Possible with the remote - thanks, Steve - but not exactly convenient.) But with an LP it's more like you're listening to the real sound from a bit off to the side - still quite acceptable. Has anyone else heard this? Is it a matter of more conservative mike placements and less multitracking back in the LP era?

#56109 - 10/08/05 12:16 AM Re: Phono performance
Brandon B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louse Angeles, CA
No, it's because channel separation is far better on CDs than on turntables.

Not saying that's necessarily a good thing, but it does make for a different sound. On some older recordings (Beatles) it is actually kind of distracting, as they put vocals in one channel and instruments in the other. When I first got these on CD many years ago, it was a little disconcerting for the vocals to come so strongly from only one side, and I wonder if this wasn't an example of where a technological development results in you hearing something different than the artist (or mixing engineer in this case) meant for you to hear. But I don't know if channel separation on master tapes is closer to vinyl or CD, so don't know the answer.

I need to get a turntable. Gave mine away 5 years ago and my fiend doesn't seem to want to give it back. smile

BB

#56110 - 10/08/05 12:18 AM Re: Phono performance
Brandon B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louse Angeles, CA
er, friend. Don't know any fiends, I think.

#56111 - 10/28/05 02:06 PM Re: Phono performance
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Scott, still on the subject of phono performance - as well as tuner; in fact all the non-HT uses which comprise over 98% of my 990's on-time - the announcement of the RR2150 "last great stereo receiver" raises three questions:
1. How does the RR2150's moving magnet phono performance compare with the 990's, assuming speakers of the quality of, e.g., Magneplanars?
2. How does its tuner performance compare with the 990's, same assumption?
3. And finally, if the RR2150 is better than the 990 in both these areas (and has preamp outputs), why doesn't someone, preferably Outlaw, bring out the thinking person's HT component: a combined HT processor and 5-channel amplifier which would not duplicate, and obsolete, a high quality stereo system, but rather build on it by supplying all, and only, those facilities required for multi-channel audio and home theater?

#56112 - 10/28/05 04:11 PM Re: Phono performance
gband Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central NJ
psyprof,

Actually Yamaha did have such a unit, for 5.1 it was DSP-E492 and for 7.1 it was DSP-E800. Both are now gone. I had a E492 and used it with my Adcom preamp and amp. Did exactly what you are saying, just adds the additional channels and processing.
I will be using my 990 with my MMF-7 turntable and I should have it setup this weekend. I'll mostly be using it for 2 channel music and some HT. I'll let you know how it sounds.

#56113 - 10/28/05 06:46 PM Re: Phono performance
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Good to hear that, gband. I'm glad someone besides me is going to use the 990 phono input. Your usage pattern sounds like mine. I too used an Adcom preamp - TPA-500, not the best but not bad - and the 990 definitely sounds better. You may find you have to turn the volume up 5-10 db for the same sound level on phono as on other inputs, though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics
98,700 Posts