Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#55960 - 09/11/05 05:07 PM Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
John Menoni Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New York
It looks like Dolby is coming out with a new format. I just got my 990 and now they come out with it. Is there any way the 990 can be upgraded? Or do we have to wait for Outlaw to come out with a new model?

#55961 - 09/11/05 05:55 PM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Well, I think it's a bit too early to say anything definitive about this new format, since the information on found on Dolby's site makes no mention of how the format's data will be delivered from source to processor. The most that I can determine is that TrueHD appears to be intended to join Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD on HD optical discs (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray), so the issues that we already knew about the DD+ and DTS-HD would carry over to this format as well. That means that (1) the digital output of TrueHD will likely only be possible via HDMI (and potentially not supported even by the latest revision to HDMI, version 1.2), (2) nearly all existing home theater receivers and processors will not be able to accept this format in a digital form (the potential exceptions being a few existing processors such as the Anthem family that are slated to receive HDMI updates in the near future - updates that will require a visit to the factory to install), and (3) it is quite likely that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players will offer on-board decoders for all three formats that will allow 7.1 analog output.

Personally, the more I hear about these two new HD formats, the more I think I'll stick with DVD and my upsampling Oppo for a few years - we now have three different new audio formats available for inclusion on two separate disc formats, and with the two format launches less than a year away we still don't know much definitive on how audio will be output for any of them. Plus we don't know how copy protection will be implemented or how limited analog video output will be. All we know is that the consumer is about to be slapped in the face with a format war that everyone seems to realize consumers don't want. Shrug...

#55962 - 09/11/05 09:09 PM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
All we know is that the consumer is about to be slapped in the face with a format war that everyone seems to realize consumers don't want. Shrug...
Right on, we'll be in the same boat: boycott that mess until they get their act together. How does it occur to any of these mopes that it would be a great idea to accelerate obsolescence for the consumer?

And they're forgetting one thing: a compelling arguement. DVD was easy: get better quality (and in some cases, quantity) using the system you have now, no matter what it is, and improve it even more as you upgrade your receiver, TV, etc. If you don't immediately upgrade your rig, what's going to be the benefit of these forthcoming formats?

#55963 - 09/11/05 09:21 PM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
There aren't a whole lot of folks out there who both want to and can afford to blow a few grand every couple of years just to keep up with the latest standard. I'm pretty happy with the status quo in terms of video. If I do any upgrading, it will be purely for improving the AUDIO quality. I figure, short of some unexpected windfall in the stock market or somesuch, that I will stick with current video tech for at least the next 3-4 years since none of my current equipment is older than about 6 months.

Cheers,

#55964 - 09/11/05 09:26 PM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
John,

I don't think you'll be seeing decoding of next gen audio codecs like DD+, DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD in receivers and pre-pros any time soon; i.e., at least for a couple of years. For the moment, the industry prefers that those codecs be decoded in the hi-def players and set-top boxes. The decoder chips will (hopefully) have more extensive bass management and time alignment features than current SACD/DVD-A players do.

The multi-channel signal can be transmitted three ways to receivers and pre-pros: 8 channels of 96/24 PCM (via current HDMI 1.1) or 5.1 channels of 640kb DD (via SPDIF coax or optical) or as 8 analogue channels (via...well, 8 interconnects). Your 990 is already capable of doing the last two, so you're set.

TrueHD (dumb name - people are going to abbreviate it to THD and then make fun of it) uses Meridian Lossless Packing as its core. Imagine MLP with its DVD-Audio restrictions removed: e.g., no longer limited to 6 channels.

Dolby has also included DD features like DialNorm and DRC (dynamic range compression) as well as extensive metadata for things like good sounding downmixes from 7.1 to 5.1 or 2-channels (assuming the recording engineer knows how to set the downmix coefficients properly). TrueHD even has the ability to piggy-back a DD stream, since there is plenty of room in its 18Mbps data rate.

I wish they had stuck to the codec's interim name: Dolby Lossless. Two words that describe who makes it and what it is. I guess it made too much sense to keep that name.

Anyway, a list of TrueHD's features can be found here .

#55965 - 09/12/05 12:46 PM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
John Menoni Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New York
My head is spinning. I'm just going to sit back, enjoy the system I'm putting together. We will see what the future brings. Hopefully it won't be as much of a mess as it appears to be. Thanks for the response guys.

#55966 - 09/15/05 01:21 AM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
twitchy_one Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX
I think I might skip a generation. Upgrade
to whatever comes after Blu-ray, or just get
a mass-market blu-ray player that has component
out or DVI/HDMI conversion when they come
out, should it replace DVD (though I have a hard
time seeing it happen).

Anyone familiar with the Sima VS-712EX Audio/Video
Component Selector? There might be something like
that to come out in the future for Blu-Ray which
you can use to extend your existing system,
without having to replace it completely, which
is what I see the Sima as.

#55967 - 09/15/05 01:29 AM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
I agree with the wait. At least a year or two until the dust settles.

#55968 - 09/15/05 08:23 PM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
Kosman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NYC
You all sound like a bunch of old farts not wanting to let go of your AM radios for that new fangled FM stuff! What an exciting time we live in. Things are changing faster then they can be manufactured. Enjoy what have and upgrade when you think the time is right and just enjoy what is unfolding in front of us.

#55969 - 09/15/05 08:35 PM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
When a new TV or new theatre pre-processor can easily cost several thousand bucks, I don't think many people will be that excited about 18 month product life cycles in this market. If the players can't get together on a format, "f 'em." I'm sticking with what works.

Cheers,

#55970 - 09/15/05 08:49 PM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
Kosman Offline
Gunslinger

Hey Ritz, by looking at your system I am sure you enjoy the heck out of it, so I am with in saying f'em. Just enjoy your system, and enjoy what is down the pipe without the pressure to keep up with the very latest gear cuz right now that is impossible...

#55971 - 09/15/05 09:48 PM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The fast pace of technology can be daunting at times, and we all have to choose where on the curve we want to climb aboard. My issue with the two HD optical formats isn't due to any inherent fondness for the status quo or even the new generation of audio formats that aren't directly compatible with my audio gear (the new formats use more bandwidth, and so need new methods of delivering the audio from one place to another - perfectly reasonable, and I'll adopt them as my upgrade process rolls their way). My issue is with the industry's decisions to create two very similar competing products out of sheer greed and stubbornness and then (more problematic for me) burden those two formats with an array of "security features" that include what basically amounts to a slap in the face to most of HDTV's early adopters. Is a purely digital video signal path an inherently better arrangement? Heck yes, especially for digital displays like LCD and DLP! DVI and HDMI are both good things in concept, and pretty successful in application. Is a digital signal path the only way to deliver HD resolutions? Obviously not, since there are many millions of HD displays in use today that lack any digital video input. So why restrict the video in these new formats to digital? Even though I waited long enough to get into HDTV to hear early warnings of the choice and to make sure my display had DVI so I don't have to upgrade my display before considering one of these formats, I find the decision distasteful.

The whole thing reminds me of DVD-Audio and SACD: the new format offers the potential for better audio and video quality, but in both cases you need some appropriate hardware to fully appreciate the benefits offered beyond the previous format (decent surround system and, for the HD-DVD/Blu-ray pair, an HD display). Combine this hardware "learning curve" with the market confusion of two separate, non-compatible options, and both formats will suffer for it. I've said before that I believe even a single unified HD optical disc format would face an uphill battle in the marketplace. Where DVD offered a slew of improvements over its predecessor the VHS tape (improved picture quality and audio that could be appreciated even on a basic TV, audio options such as commentary tracks and alternate languages, optional subtitles and closed captions, extra material, greater durability in the face of repeated use, and no need to rewind), an HD version of the DVD can only offer better audio and video, and even then only if your gear is good enough to reveal it. I'm afraid that the format war and the potential unhappiness of early adopters over the decision to "plug the analog hole" of component outputs will hurt both formats. The worst part? When those two formats languish (as has largely happened with DVD-Audio and SACD), we lose out on the opportunity for a lot of great entertainment content that could have come to market if the format(s) did well enough. I'd be excited about a HD optical disc format coming at the end of this year even though I probably wouldn't pick one up for at least a year, if the format were geared toward the consumer. Alas, that doesn't look to be the case.

#55972 - 09/15/05 11:17 PM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
Kosman Offline
Gunslinger

8 track or cassette, beta or VHS, DVD-Audio or SACD, DTS-HD or TrueHD, HD-DVD or Blu-ray, yeah know what really sucks... it is that not always does the better format win. If you all cannot even duke it out and can up with a winner how in the heck can the average joe a) pick a winner b) buy the right hardware with the right connectors, and c) set every up properly to actually get the quality that he thought he was buying????

#55973 - 09/16/05 08:23 AM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
jhunt1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Yarmouth, ME
Yeah know what really sucks... it is that not always does the better format win.

This is a very true statement Kosman, and another reason to hold on tight and wait this crazy ride out. We are in for a long ride in regards to the format wars; and which format is going to come out on top is any mans guess. I feel assured that when the format wars are over or a clear victor has emerged, that the Outlaws will appropriately respond. It isn’t over till it's over. In the mean time lets enjoy what we do have, the 990 at a great $ value, with lots of bells and whistles such as DVI video switching, numerous processing modes, very good two channel audio, etc... etc...etc... I find myself enjoying the 990 more every day, it's hear, it's now, and it's happening in my theater room today.

#55974 - 09/17/05 07:36 AM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
Kosman Offline
Gunslinger

Even in two years the crazy ride will not be over. There will be something else coming around the horn. That is what makes this passion so good, it is never over and the crazy ride is always on!

#55975 - 09/20/05 04:01 PM Re: Dolby Digital True HD and the 990
elikd Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
I agree with Gonk. Its not a question of complaining about new stuff coming out. We are all technology fanatics, Gonk was one of the first to own the 990 sight unseen. I upgrade my PC and components all the time. The complaint is that what is guiding the choices being made for the future is greed and old thinking and it is ruining progress. This killed DVD Audio and SACD. They never took off and became obsolete to newer inferior technology (MP3, WMA). Now music lovers can NOT get their favorite music in high definition audio!!! It does not exist! Progress in audio was held back by the mess HDDVD is getting ready to create again. You either have the ancient CD format or a compressed version of this old technology. The sad thing is that by never taking off we never get to enjoy the benefit of these technologies. Therefore, people who love technology and change are affected negatively by this crazy ride, not positively. Now the industry is assuring that the new format will not work on the majority of HDTVs out there. How quickly will something be adopted when the consumer wont see a benefit unless they upgrade EVERYTHING? And to top it off, after you upgrade everything you might have aligned yourself with the loser. What if by the time the HDDVD dust settles we have all moved on to getting movies over high speed links via a compressed high def stream from our cable provider or Internet movie site?????? It would be another great technology (like DVDAudio and SACD) that we never had a chance to enjoy to the fullest that was supplanted by something inferior. Normally I am very excited about new technology. This is one of the first times that I am taking the wait and see attitude. Especially in light of the fact that I have already been burned by my HDTV with its sinful analog only inputs! ; )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 261 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM