Greetings,

I am planning for a new Home Theatre and I am considering the following items:

Speakers Axiom Grand Master 350 package $1876.00
Receiver Outlaw 990 and 7125 package $2000.00-ish
DVD Denon 2910 $700.00-ish
CD Denon 280 $199.00-ish
Projector InFocus 4805 $1100.00-ish
Screen Carada Criterion 80" 1:1.85 $577.38

Total about $7,000 (33% speaker, 30% Receiver, 14% source, and 25% video)

For a projected 12X18X9 room, is this overkill? I am assuming a basement setup with no windows and with complete control of light. Viewing distance would be about 10-12 feet. I have all cables I need from my current 5.1 Kenwood Home Theatre Setup (Except DVI). I like what I have, but I have toured the audio shops enough to know that it could be so much better.

I like the idea of the outlaw separates, but I don't know if it is total overkill with the Axiom setup. Would the Outlaw 1070 ($899) be ample?

- I will also post this on the Audioholics and Axiom boards, but I need an opinion from those who are familiar with the product in question.

#55682 - 08/23/05 08:37 AM Re: Home Theatre Budget
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think the 990/7125 combo would be a good match to the Axioms, and the total budget/room combination seems fine. I certainly wouldn't call it overkill if you have the money to do it. You could consider saving a couple hundred bucks and leaving the Denon 280 out, since the 2910 would make a very good CD transport as well as a universal DVD player.

#55683 - 08/23/05 10:24 AM Re: Home Theatre Budget
HitoZen Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

audioferret, if you're willing to wait a bit and don't mind refurb w/ good warranty... you can save a few hundred on the projector.

www.woot.com sometimes carries the projectors.

#55684 - 08/23/05 10:28 AM Re: Home Theatre Budget
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
Have you listened to the Axioms? They seem a bit light on the bass (at least on paper) for my tastes, but I've never auditioned them. Also, while the mains seem relatively flat from 100hz to about 15khz, things seem to get a bit "squirrelly" from 15khz-20khz. But if they sound decent, that's not a bad price for a complete 5.1 speaker setup.

I agree with Gonk that you really don't need the extra CD player. The 2910 is an excellent CD transport in addition to being a great DVD player. 125WPC should be more than enough for small listening area like that.

Cheers,

#55685 - 08/23/05 08:15 PM Re: Home Theatre Budget
audioferret Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boulder Colorado
I have not heard the axioms yet, but they seem to fit what I am trying to do without breaking the bank. I have read just about every review I can google on them and it sounds like a good system. before buying, I will audition.

The axiom site lists auditioners for the axioms in the denver area, but I have had no luck connecting yet. I will keep trying.

#55686 - 08/24/05 07:52 AM Re: Home Theatre Budget
tonygeno Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: MA
A set of Ascend 340s with risers, 340 center and 170 surrounds with an Outlaw LFM1 will run a little less and sound a lot better: much better drivers all around and a more accurate sound. The LFM1 has much greater output and will go lower with more authority than the Axiom 350.

Check out the Ascends here:

www.ascendacoustics.com

#55687 - 08/24/05 01:10 PM Re: Home Theatre Budget
audioferret Offline
Gunslinger

I have seen the reviews on the ascend speakers, but the finish options available in Axiom gets me past the WAF. The Ascends are too limited in that way.

#55688 - 08/24/05 08:23 PM Re: Home Theatre Budget
tonygeno Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by audioferret:
I have seen the reviews on the ascend speakers, but the finish options available in Axiom gets me past the WAF. The Ascends are too limited in that way.
We all have our compromises to make. Good luck in your choice. I would seriously consider the LFM-1 sub, though. Far superior to the Axiom.

#55689 - 08/24/05 10:26 PM Re: Home Theatre Budget
richeydog Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Fresno, CA
Quote:
I'm envious of all your gear you've listed. What a way to kick off a great home theater. smile

Have you listened to the onix rockets yet? Right now they are having a sale on the 550 package #3 for $1,649. Lovely appearance. Great sound. They are located in Louisville, Colorado. Just a stones throw away from you. Check em out. It wouldn't hurt to ask them for a demo at AV123hq's. Then you could see and hear them in person.

If you do indeed choose the axioms I would pass on the ep350 and go with the competitively priced outlaw, hsu, or svs sub. The only axiom subs I would consider, based on the feedback from the axiom forum would be the new ep500 and ep600. But that might be a bit of a stretch for your budget.

Anyway just something else to consider.
Good luck in whatever you choose.

Regards,
Michael

#55690 - 08/25/05 12:29 AM Re: Home Theatre Budget
audioferret Offline
Gunslinger

I had no idea that they were in my backyard! The web site shows their location in Broomfield, which is about 15 miles away.

I will check that out, I wonder if they have a showroom or just office space. I have friday afternoon pretty open, I'll let you know.

#55691 - 08/25/05 08:43 AM Re: Home Theatre Budget
tonygeno Offline
Gunslinger

The Rockets are beautiful (high WAF) and sound great. If they meet your needs, you'll be very happy. Give them a call prior to going so they can get ready for you. Let us know how it goes.

#55692 - 08/25/05 09:22 AM Re: Home Theatre Budget
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Quote:
Actually, they offer custom finishes as well as an unfinished MDF version you can finish off as you like. The custom finishes are of high quality automotive paint. I don't know pricing, but if you call and talk with James or David they can work with you.

I have the 170's in the basic black vinyl and I think they look fine.

#55693 - 08/25/05 02:11 PM Re: Home Theatre Budget
audioferret Offline
Gunslinger

I could cry,

Below is the response I got from AV123. It looks like I missed a show that was almost literally across the street from me. I will look into when the next one is...

________

Hello Will,

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately, we don’t have any sort of listening room for any demos at our office here in Broomfield. It’s too bad you missed our big show at the Courtyard Marriott in Louisville a few weeks ago. We had five complete systems on display.

What many local people have done is actually scheduled a will-call and bought the speakers they were interested in to take home and try out. There’s honestly no better place to audition speakers than the room they’ll be in. With our thirty day trial period, you really have nothing to lose. Please let me know if you’re interested in this or have any further quesitons.

Thanks,

Greg Marberry

Technical Sales Associate

AV123.com

877.543.7500 x 305 toll free

303.543.7500 x 305 direct / international

#55694 - 08/25/05 02:23 PM Re: Home Theatre Budget
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That's a bummer... I think the event Greg is referring to is their annual get-together, which means it would be almost a year from now before it happens again. With your proximity to their offices, though, it is possible that there is somebody else near you with Rockets who would let you listen to their speakers, and at the very least you would be able to do their 30-day trial period without having to pay shipping if you decided to return them. Audioenvy didn't load for me when I tried a minute ago, but AV123 's forum might be able to help you out.

#55695 - 08/25/05 03:52 PM Re: Home Theatre Budget
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
The AV123 web site sez they will be in Denver Tech Center Marriott, Sept 30, Oct 1&2. Maybe you can check the Rockets and others there.

#55696 - 08/25/05 07:27 PM Re: Home Theatre Budget
richeydog Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Fresno, CA
Audioenvy has been unreliable for several months now. Don't know why either. Your best bet would be to pick up a pair from av123 and try them out at home in your acoustic environment. No shipping costs to worry about.

Let us know how everything turns out. Good luck.

-Michael-

#55697 - 08/26/05 01:20 AM Re: Home Theatre Budget
audioferret Offline
Gunslinger

Well, I am almost converted to the Rockets. The Rocky Mountain Audio Show sounds like and excellent idea, plenty to listen to there. I am checking on the AV123 site to try to get an audition before then.

In regards to the speaker overkill question earlier, it also seems like a better match for the separates option because that center is rated at 4 ohms. Not to mention how huge it is.

Any thoughts on the comparison between the SVS 20-19 PCi and the Rocket UFW-10? They cost the same. I am considering going with the rocket admittedly based on the matching appearance and the reduced size. My current setup room is twelve feet wide and twelve deep, in the basement (finished). I am considering that I will probably be in the military for the next 20 years or so and will move approximately six times during that period, with at least one European tour and one back to Korea.

My adjusted speaker selection looks like this:

Front Mains: Rocket RS550 or RS250 MKII
Center: RSC200
Sides: RSS300
Rear: RS250 MKII
Sub: UFW-10 (possibly two)

I've got time, and no money (yet)...

#55698 - 08/26/05 10:02 AM Re: Home Theatre Budget
tonygeno Offline
Gunslinger

The LFM1 will give you the output capability of two UFW-10s. It will also go lower. One UFW-10 will not cut it for home theater: it just doesn't have enough piston area for high output. That said, it does provide very tight bass that works well for music. For output and extension, the SVS (I assume you mean the 20-39 pci?) will easily better the Rocket and would be on par with the LFM-1, though it will go lower. If you can put up with the water heat look, it's a good sub. I thought WAF was important?????

#55699 - 08/26/05 05:46 PM Re: Home Theatre Budget
audioferret Offline
Gunslinger

WAF, yes it's important.

BUT THE SVS ARE SO COOL!!!

#55700 - 09/09/05 10:21 PM Re: Home Theatre Budget
Belgand Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Don't know if you've made a decision yet, but I'm running the 1070 with a set of Axiom M3Tis (close, but not quite the M22Tis) and it sounds wonderful. Personally while I love my 1070 I would have gone with the seperates if my budget could have handled it. I'd also probably suggest buying the speakers individually and getting a different subwoofer. I seem to recall that Axiom's subwoofers only review as being pretty average. I'd personally go with a sub from either SVS or Hsu.

#55701 - 11/21/05 12:14 AM Re: Home Theatre Budget
Rob Zwissler Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, IL
Here's my setup:

BenQ PE5120 (DLP DVI 16x9 854x480, 26 dB (!), $900 shipped with a rebate for a free second bulb, eBayable for $300+, or keep it for after you watch 2000-3000 hours worth of movies)
Oppo DV971 DVD Player $200
DaLite B 100" (80x60) 4:3 Matte 1.1 gain $130 (16x9 92" (80x45) about the same price).

I've never seen the 4805, but it sounds like it has great picture, tho not very bright, and a little on the loud side. I'm really happy with the BenQ, especially considering it's price, tho it has it's downsides (2x color wheel if you are DLP sensitive (I'm not), not the greatest

I upgraded from a DV963SA to the Oppo, the Oppo, while cheap as heck, has great video quality, I've only used it on DVI, but that it's strong point. A good review is on Audioholics. Not as nice looking (physically) as the Denons, but if thats not a factor, and you're going to use DVI, you should at least read some reviews on it.

I'm curious why you're considering a $200 CD Player, especially since you're considering the Denon 2910, which is supposed to have excellent CD sound. I just use the DAC in the 990 along with an Airport Express, or the Oppo.

I have a SVS PC+ 20-39, I previously had a HSU VTF-3, both great subs, but the SVS has more "boom". Not the prettiest sub (think a 55 gallon drum, with suede on the outside) but for the money, it sounds great and has lots of power.

FWIW, I watch my projector at 92" (80x45) 16x9 from about 10 feet away, and I'm very happy with the size. I wouldn't go any larger (pixelation), but I don't think I would go any smaller either.

I also have (and would recommend) a Samsung SIR-T451 HDTV Over-The-Air tuner, cost me about $150 shipped on eBay. PBS in HD looks really great on the projector.

I ceiling mounted my projector, it's about 6 feet above my head and 2 feet back or so, in this position, noise level is critical. The BenQs 26 dB economy mode really makes me happy, so keep fan noise in mind! If you haven't seen it before, projectorcentral.com has a great zoom/screen size calculator online, as well.

Finally, if you were concerned about DVI cable length, you may be happy to know, I'm running a 33 foot Atlona DVI-D ($80 shipped on eBay or so) + the 990 switching DVI + a 5 foot cheap-o cable with absolutely no sparkles or DVI problems into the ceiling mounted projector, from both the Oppo DVD & the Samsung HD tuner. Before I tried it, I was getting nervous hearing people talk about $200 DVI cables and $400 DVI signal boosters...

Rob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM