Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#55656 - 08/14/05 10:03 PM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
Dan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I have been offered a really sweet deal on a new AVM-30, so that is the way I'm leaning right now. I may get the AVM, and order a 990 then compare them in my setup. I really just like the added flexibility the Anthem offers.

I really don't care about switching, since I prefer to switch my video thru the TV.

The Arcam is nice, but after comparing it to the Anthem, it just doesn't fit the bill.

#55657 - 08/14/05 10:21 PM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Sounds good, Dan. I'd be curious to hear how the Anthem works out for you, especially if you get the chance to compare it to the 990.

#55658 - 08/16/05 03:10 AM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
cpd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

First post here (actually 2nd, but the first one got lost in space somewhere!). I've been a lurker for quite some time. It's interesting that Dan preferred the Anthem to the Arcam. I currently own both the AVM30 and AVP700 and I will be selling the Anthem. Although it is better for features and perhaps "style", I found the sound quality of the Arcam to be noticably better (especially for 2 channel music). I actually wanted the Anthem to be "the one" since I've already owned it for six months, but I always thought the music performance was a little on the cold and sterile side. The AVP700 has all the detail and then some, but is more natural and spacious without fatigue. From what I've heard, the sound quality peerformance is creating quite a stir just like the AVR300 before it. The industry buzz is what prompted me to borrow one from my dealer in the frist place.

Don't get me wrong, the Anthem is a fantastic processor, especially for those who skew more towards HT. I have never heard the Outlaw. It does seem intriguing for the price, and I love how it just appeared out of nowhere. I'm all done auditioning for quite some time now though!

Chris

#55659 - 08/16/05 04:40 AM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Just goes to show you that sound is very subjective. Even though a number of people on this forum use the 990, I bet a small number of us are using the same speakers. Some like Klipsch, some like Magnepan and others like Axiom, but nobody is wrong (except Bose owners... just kidding).

#55660 - 08/16/05 07:27 AM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Well said, Jed M - tastes differ, and fortunately there is a solid assortment of good quality pre/pros to choose from in the marketplace these days (much like speakers, where tastes differ even more widely).

#55661 - 08/16/05 11:28 AM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
cpd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

It's also why I try to avoid sweeping judgements, like "it's the best for the price". Any one of us has much too small a sample to draw from. We can make individual comparisons, but even thouse are subject to varibales like setup issues, psychoacoustics, and of course personal taste. I guess I see it more in the receiver discusstion threads, but you just can't get much from "Go for the ! I have one and couldn't be happier". Only to find out it is the only brand they've heard.

Chris

#55662 - 12/19/05 10:13 AM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
wolverine Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor
I have been lurking around the Saloon since getting a 990 during the first wave but only recently signed up officially. With the recent professional reviews and the positive comparison between the 990 and the Anthem AVM-30, I thought it worthwhile to bring this one up again.

I have the 990 along with a black Anthem MCA-50, the matching amp to the AVM-30. The 990 looks quite fine compared with the MCA-50 in the same rack and is certainly not outclassed. The 990 is a more flat black compared with the slightly shinier black of the MCA-50, but side-by-side they appear to have a comparable conservative styling and a similar build quality.

After several months now, I am also very happy with the sonic performance of the combination, which is deathly quiet when it is supposed to be. It was an added bonus that I was able to purchase both the 990 and the MCA-50 for not much more than the price of an AVM-30 alone!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
scoooter 2
butchgo 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics