Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#55646 - 08/12/05 01:18 PM 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
Dan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am trying to decide between these 4 processors.

The Anthem is my leading choice, but I am intrigued by the 990. It seems to hold its own against many processors 3-4 times its price. But, I am not a fan of its looks. It looks like a cheap processor, and the inability to read the display cheapens it further. I am not knocking it, but its a shame to have a kick-ass processor like that and then put it in an ugly box.
Now that I have that out of the way, maybe someone can tell me what I am getting or not getting when you compare the 990 to these other processors. I know I'm saving a fair amount of money, but I am selling an MC-1, so I'm not having to come out of pocket as bad on any of these processors.

I listen to HT 80%, 20% music. I like flexibility in my setups, something I will get with the Anthem and Lex. The Arcam sounds most likely has the "purist" sound compared to the others according to reviews on it.
Bass management is awesome on the Anthem, Lex, and Arcam. The Lex is sliding out of the picture, as the MC-4 is 4500.00, a joke in this day and competition of HT processors.

I dunno, just curious on feedback I guess.

#55647 - 08/12/05 02:07 PM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Getting into comparing these things can get pretty complex, as you have clearly already discovered considering the units you are comparing.

The Arcam is probably closest to the Outlaw based on price and features (although the list price is still double that of the 990). Both units use the same chip for processing (the 49400), whereas the Anthem units use a Motorola solution (I'm guessing when you say Anthem you are referring to the AVM-30, although the Statement D1 is also an option if you are willing to venture up around the MC-4's price range). Both the Outlaw and the Arcam have similar input and output offerings and both use the same remote control (and in both cases I would tend to recommend a third-party universal remote like the Harmony or the MX-500 if you have a very sophisticated system). The Arcam offers a manual EQ, whereas the Outlaw offers somewhat more flexible bass management (four independently adjustable crossover settings) and an automatic channel calibration routine with an included microphone. The Arcam has HDMI switching instead of DVI, but it isn't clear to me if that switching includes any support for audio (a comment in the troubleshooting section of the manual makes me suspect it is video only). Based solely on a bit of poking around in the Arcam's manual, I would tend to say that the most compelling reasons to get it over the Outlaw would be aesthetics (or, along similar lines, equipment rack space) or sonics - and without heating the Arcam, I don't know how it might stack up to the Outlaw. The Outlaw sounds very good to my ear, so an extra $1000 or so would be hard for me to justify. Your mileage may vary. The Anthem AVM-30, meanwhile, is probably available for not much more than the Arcam, although the planned HDMI upgrade (which is supposed to include audio support) will likely cost several hundred dollars extra to add. It's been a very popular platform for many years now, so it's certainly a good one to have on your list of candidates.

I'll finish this off with a brief comment about the looks of the 990. While I'd like to be better able to read the processing mode that is currently active, I have been able to quickly identify which is which by general orientation from my viewing position (about 9' or 10' away), and I have found that the text display is extremely easy to read. The aesthetics are still a bit "minimalist" (a conscious choice on Outlaw's part, and one that people tend to either like or dislike), but when sitting in an equipment rack it seems to me to present a pretty respectable image. If it's not your style, though, it certainly will factor into your decision making process.

#55648 - 08/12/05 02:58 PM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
Dan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi gonk- Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.
I was referring to the AVM30, sorry I didn't point that out.
I was not able to determine much about the bass management on the 990 from the manual, you mentioned 4 independent crossovers- what do you mean by that? Are your crossover points in 10hz steps?

I am also wondering if the Outlaw looks better "in person" than it does on the website?

#55649 - 08/12/05 03:43 PM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The Model 990 has separate crossover settings for the mains, center, side surrounds, and rear surrounds. The crossover options offered are 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, and 200Hz. It isn't the 10Hz increments that the Arcam offers, but it is a wider range and it allows you to more accurately "dial in" your crossover points - such as 40Hz or 60Hz for mains with some good low end and 80Hz or 100Hz for smaller surrounds. Check out page 29 in the manual for a look at the speaker crossover menu.

I think the 990 looks very nice "in person" - and the flat black finish that Outlaw favors has always proven to be a difficult photographic subject (there's a lengthy discussion in one thread from the 2005 HE Show after one forum member's pictures of the Model 1070 appeared blue). The picture in my review that is probably the best representation of the actual unit is a little more than half way down, showing it connected to a laptop PC via USB (the first picture is a good close-up, but there is a front port cover off and the unit isn't turned on so the display is blank).

#55650 - 08/12/05 05:30 PM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
ElderGamesman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, NM
I also feel the 990 looks very nice in person, and my wife really has good things to say about it, and she is definitely NOT into audio or video equipment!

#55651 - 08/12/05 06:57 PM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
I don't mind the looks of the 990 or the display, but the physical size is somewhat of a pain in the ass to deal with. It is a LOT taller and deeper than similarly equipped (though not similarly priced) gear.

And I'll agree with Gonk that it's right up there in quality with the Arcam and I have heard them both. I was originally going to buy Arcam equipment until a friend of mine suggested I check out Outlaw. You get similar (VERY similar) performance at a substantially lower price point. So if cost is any consideration (for some folks, it isn't), then the 990 is a no brainer.

Cheers,

#55652 - 08/12/05 10:34 PM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
Michael Moore Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Lansing, MI
All the photos I've seen of the 990 seem to make the faceplate appear gray when in fact it is black. I took a photo of mine atop my kitchen island a few minutes after taking it out of the box that to my eyes looks more like actual color of the unit and also shows more detail than the pics on the Outlaw site. I hadn't placed the jack covers on at the time but they fit and match nicely. If you're interested take a look at:

http://glenmoorcondominiums.org/pics/listpics.asp?dir=Outlaw+990

I wish the 990 were not as deep and somewhat shorter too but it's still manageable in most situations. The only thing I don't care for with the appearance of the unit are the cursor buttons which look and feel like the cheap painted plastic bits they are but that's about it. Performance-wise I could not be more pleased. I hope this helps.

mike

#55653 - 08/13/05 12:31 AM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
Lonster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eureka CA.
That third picture would make a nice add for Outlaw :-).
Do you own stock?

:-p

Lonster

#55654 - 08/14/05 04:25 AM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
Houghers Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Sacramento
I, too, was actually considering the Anthem AVM30 when I was looking to upgrade to my first pre/pro/stack. I fell in locve with its clarity when I demo'd it with the speakers I currently own (Paradigm studios) at a boutique HT store. As much as I liked the Anthem, it was just a bit out of my price range. So I looked at Outlaw.

For me, I like the minimalist approach. I look at the Outlaw this way (and bear in mind my opinion is coming from someone who is a new Outlaw owner and still awaiting the gear's arrival), its much like the Dodge Coronet of the late 60's; utilitarian looks, but with the 440 big block it would out-perform just about anything else on the road. My point is that looks don't necessarily make the component. Albeit, they can be a deal-breaker, but for the money you can't discredit the 990.

Are the Lexicon and Anthem models likely to be better? Probably. Given their storied past and penchant for first rate equipment, that's probably a given. But I personally don't make enough money to justify purchasing their equipment. So, I gave the 990 a shot. Not exactly a supermodel with regards to looks, but, in my opinion, much better looking than many of the competitors' offerings.

As Gonk put it, "Your mileage may vary". Looks are truly a subjective discussion. If you don't like the looks, then consider the quality and then determine for yourself if you can live with its utilitarian design. Ultimately, whatever makes you happiest is what the best equipment is for you.

#55655 - 08/14/05 07:50 AM Re: 990 vs Anthem vs Arcam vs Lex MC-4
AudioBear Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Champaign, IL
If you don't like the looks turn out the lights and they all look the same....

I have owned high-end equipment for years (including Lexicon) and I suspect that if you turned out the lights you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between processors. I like the sound of the 990. I thought it would be a temporary move until Anthem sorts out their D1 upgrade but after 2 months I am now not so sure.

Let you ears do the listening!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 2
scoooter 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics