Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#55611 - 08/08/05 03:05 PM Subwoofer Delay Setting
easypete Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I just got the 990 last week... I was able to set it up over the weekend.

I set up the 990 w/ the microphone, and for the most part, everything matched up w/ the SPL meter and tape measure...

My subwoofer (Sunfire) is physically 14' from the microphone. The 990 keeps placing it at 25'.

I've listened to the system at both settings, and the 25' setting actually sounds better. The only thing I can possibly attribute this to is the phase control. I have it about 35 degrees out of phase (tried to match the maggies).

Has anyone else seen this?

#55612 - 08/08/05 07:22 PM Re: Subwoofer Delay Setting
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't seen it, but I think your reasoning makes a great deal of sense.

#55613 - 08/09/05 11:32 AM Re: Subwoofer Delay Setting
Relentless Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago,IL
i have the same problem.my subs are 10' away from the listening position and they keep coming up as 25' on the autosetup.i just figured because there is an open door in the room the mic is picking up the bass pulse down the hallway.i always just change the setting to accual distance but have never tried listening to them at the 25' setting...i may just try that.

my subs only have zero or 180 phase and i have tried both at 0,both at 180 and they come up the same distance.i have even tried one at 0 and one at 180 but they didnt sound right so i didnt even run the setup in thoes positions.

#55614 - 08/13/05 02:32 PM Re: Subwoofer Delay Setting
Relentless Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago,IL
I am surprised nobody besides us has come up with this problem, whether its a phase problem or the room.I did switch the delay back to what the autosetup came up with(25') and it has improved in a few ways.The bass seems to hit slightly later and now there is less cancellation of the midrange,and the subs position is much harder to pinpoint(which can also be a slight crossover problem...I wish the 990 went in smaller increments with the crossover).

#55615 - 08/13/05 04:03 PM Re: Subwoofer Delay Setting
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

I guess I should chime in too as my subwoofer distance was about 2X what it should have been. I never mentioned it because I never got the autocal to work. It keep insisting my side dipoles were large and my mains were small. It told me to swap the sides with the mains, I don't think so! smile For some reason it wanted to run my side dipoles 10db hotter then everything else. It did get the distances pretty close with the exception of the subwoofer.

#55616 - 08/15/05 12:30 PM Re: Subwoofer Delay Setting
easypete Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I went back to listen to play with this over the weekend.

I started by playing with the phase. It stayed about the same. Anything else just didn't sound right w/ the maggies, no matter where I put the distance to the sub. I didn't autocal with it at a different phase... maybe I'll try this weekend.

I autocal'd again (4 times)... it came up w/ 24' twice, 25' twice, so I don't think it was getting confused and just setting it out to the outer limit of 25'. I listened to music and movies with it set at 25' and 14' and the 25' definitely sounded better. Less phase cancellation (especially during dts and THX intros). It's just all together smoother.

#55617 - 01/11/07 03:54 PM Re: Subwoofer Delay Setting
muttsinparadise Offline
Gunslinger

Aloha, wondering if any further insights have come about in this area. I have the Axiom EP500 digital sub, and the 990 puts it at 30 (~2x the distance). The 990 manual states that some subs might need to be adjusted for a specific crossover for proper distance setting, and I believe I ran mine initially in Bypass, so I'll retry this weekend. Any advice would be appreciated.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM