Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#55536 - 08/05/05 03:25 PM Re: P-965 gets Auto-EQ will the 990 follow?
tg3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott:
Right now our first priority is to complete the maintenance upgrade as a standalone release, with auto-eq to follow when it is ready.
Scott,

Make sure the EQ is both automatic and manual. I have my own measurement system, and would prefer to tweak by hand.

#55537 - 08/06/05 10:31 AM Re: P-965 gets Auto-EQ will the 990 follow?
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

Well...Jeff Hipps just posted on AVS that the P-965 Auto-EQ is not adjustable, it is either on or off. Can't say I'm surprised. You would almost need a PC interface to control all those points. Hey now that's an idea. smile

#55538 - 08/06/05 11:15 AM Re: P-965 gets Auto-EQ will the 990 follow?
Cliff Watson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Augusta, GA
Quote:
Originally posted by obie_fl:
Well...Jeff Hipps just posted on AVS that the P-965 Auto-EQ is not adjustable, it is either on or off. Can't say I'm surprised. You would almost need a PC interface to control all those points. Hey now that's an idea. smile
I believe that is the current idea for multi-point RoomEQ. Use a PC to take readings from several different points within the room, make adjustments and then create a flash rom bin file for the preamp.

#55539 - 08/06/05 01:35 PM Re: P-965 gets Auto-EQ will the 990 follow?
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

The AV123 R-DES EQ product works in a similar fashion. You punch all your numbers in then you play with the settings on the PC and upload the R-DES box through the USB port. They are also talking about adding EMOScapes to their upcoming digitally powered receivers, which is basically PC control over your receiver. There is also that program that ties into the BFD through Midi and I know other Pre/Pros that allow you to hook up a PC for configuration control.

I’m just not sure how many people are willing to deal with a PC to interface with their A/V gear though. Personally I wouldn’t mind hooking a PC up to my 990 if it had a nice graphical interface to eight channels with seven bands of PEQ and control of BM. smile

#55540 - 08/06/05 02:08 PM Re: P-965 gets Auto-EQ will the 990 follow?
tg3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle
I don't care if I have to program the manual settings myself through the serial port. I'm just voting for the option.

#55541 - 08/08/05 01:10 PM Re: P-965 gets Auto-EQ will the 990 follow?
easypete Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
About 2 years ago, I attended an Atlanta Audiophile Society meeting w/ the owner of Innersound. He (Sanders) had on display a Behringer Ultracurve EQ (31 band digital EQ). He said every system needed it. Using a calibrated microphone in a listening position, you could balance the sound of the speakers.

This appealed to me tremendously, mainly due to the fact that the room I had my speakers (Magnepan 1.6s) had me placing one speaker in the corner, the other speaker with a big open space on the outside of it. The speakers were very unbalanced. I purchased it and placed it in my system. It was amazing the difference it made, but alas, I'm jinxed... At about 25-30 dB below the signal, I had a hum (60 Hz) that I could not get rid of, so I removed it from my system.

Now, with the 990, in a new room (very symmetrical), I'm thinking about using it again (just for the mains). I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone had experience with the Ultracurve?

2. Is there a way to use the Optical output to get just the front left/front right speaker information to the Ultracurve? I would hate to convert the signal from digital to analog (SACD/DVD-A player) to digital to analog (990) back to digital to analog (Ultracurve).

3. The Ultracurve has balanced inputs. My amplifier (Citation 7.1) does not. If the optical transfer is out, can I use XLR cables from 990 to Ultracurve and my Tributaries interconnects from the Ultracurve to the Citation? Does this even matter?

Thanks,

EP

#55542 - 08/08/05 01:35 PM Re: P-965 gets Auto-EQ will the 990 follow?
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

obie:

It will be interesting to see what AV123 actually delivers, since I have to guess that what Mark is hinting at is "LEO", which is something developed by D2 Audio as part of the suite of options for their amplifiers, not some marvelous invention of his own. It is based on using the processor inside the digital amp module in conjunction with feedback from the speakers both directly (by measuring how they load the amp) and with a microphone for parameters to set the room EQ stuff. Definately NOT the same as R-DES or using a PC to assemble the data and then feed it back into the receiver or amplifier. Look here: http://www.d2audio.com/default.aspx?c=16&t=Intelligence&k=

Interesting use of an acronym for the Behringer thing. When I see "BFD" I associate it with some other phrasing that if used here might be me banned by the Outlaws.

Mark is a very savy marketer as well as a designer, so a word of caution might be in order as to how he has used "EMOScapes" as branding for a feature in one product already in the market vs. what it might be in another that is still vapor ware. While you have to respect Mark's talents on both scores, it should be noted that he's gotten away with announcing products LONG in advance of their ship date, and then clamming up about what the actual features and prices are, let alone setting a delivery date and keeping it. When the Outlaws fell into that trap -- or should I say made their own bed and then had to lie in it -- with the constant delays for the 950, everyone was ALL over them, and rightfully so. Mark is, to some extent, doing the same thing with a number of products that are long overdue, or announced for delivery long into the future. Somehow he seems to have a Teflon coating, but I guess good for him.

The truth, as always, is in the final performance of the products for the pricing. The 990 seems, to all reports here and elsewhere, to be a great value and an outstanding performer. It's gonna get fun when (if?) the new low cost processor from AV123 makes it to market. It seems to lack some important features for my taste, but I'm sure it will sound good and find its own place in the market. The more interesting question will be to compare the Model 1070 (yes, I know it is a receiver and not separates) against the UL Twins. Seems to offer more features for the $$ and I bet that while partisans on both sides will claim that "theirs" sounds better, there will be little difference between them on that score. The much more extensive bass management, lip sync delay, ability to do software upgrades and more inputs on the 1070 are tilting me in that direction for the moment, but time will tell.

#55543 - 08/11/05 01:56 AM Re: P-965 gets Auto-EQ will the 990 follow?
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

PB - Can't say I disagree with any of the above. I guess I wasn't clear about the distinction between EMOscape and R-DES I was aware they are two totally different things. There are a lot of days when I wish MLS would just stick to speakers, although the D2 stuff has the potential to be pretty cool. smile

#55544 - 08/17/05 03:13 PM Re: P-965 gets Auto-EQ will the 990 follow?
Townhouse Offline
Gunslinger

EP - To minimize the number of A-D-A conversions, simply keep your connections analog. I would run XLR from 990 to Behringer. I prefer quad cable (Belden, Canare, Mogami, ProCo, Whirlwind) for its better noise rejection.

You didn't say what connectors are on your Tribs, but you will need adapter cables from Behringer to Citation. You could use XLR female on the Behringer analog output, but it is probably better to use unbalanced 1/4" TS (mono phone) plugs from the AUX out. The Behringer will automatically detect and adjust levels for the unbalanced connections. See sections 2.2 and 5.2 of the Behringer manual.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 2
scoooter 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics