Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#55482 - 07/30/05 05:44 PM Harmony 659 remote and 990 pre-amp - works GREAT!
drdean Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Annapolis MD
I was happy to see that the Harmony internet database includes all the ir commands for the new 990 pre-amp. This inexpensive, all-in-one remote now controls EVERYTHING in my system:

Optoma H77 projector - Harmony has MORE features than standard remote that came with this unit
Outlaw 990
Oppo Digital DVD player
Pioneer 919 Laser Disk/DVD player
Samsung SIR-T451 HDTV tuner

It cost under $100 from Wal Mart on line. Circuit City sells it for $150, and they would NOT do a price match.

The best feature is the 'one-button' operation like 'Play a movie' that turns everything needed on (pre-amp, projector, DVD player). There is also a one button 'turn everything off'. The IR emmiters are powerful enough that I don't even need to point the thing at the components. This is convenient since the electronics are to the right of my seat, and the projector is behind me. I can point the remote at the screen and everything still works!

I have used a Niles Intelli-control in the past and was considering the MX300 and similar touch screen units. But, the Harmony unit does all of these things at a very low price. There were a few tweeks needed to get it to be 100%, but the entire configuration took less than 20 minutes.

This is the first 'all-in-one' that my wife and kids can use without my help. Hey - wait a minute, maybe that is a BAD thing because they needed me to turn things on/off before - at least I had some control over who used the system. It used to be too complicated for the wife and kids.

Now, it's too simple. eek eek

I guess I can always hide the remote if it gets too bad. cool cool

#55483 - 07/31/05 01:39 AM Re: Harmony 659 remote and 990 pre-amp - works GREAT!
Lonster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eureka CA.
*edit* I re-read the title. Never mind. smile
drdean,
Which Harmony model are you refering to?
Thanks,
Lonny

#55484 - 07/31/05 09:48 AM Re: Harmony 659 remote and 990 pre-amp - works GREAT!
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
It must be the Harmony 659 since that's the only sub-$100 model at Walmart.com. He also mentions explicitly in the Subject that it's the 659. 8-)

I was going to spring for a Pronto, but they seem a bit too pricey. Right now I've got 4 different remotes:

dvd
TV
cable box

so finding a way to consolidate things would be nice.

Cheers,

#55485 - 07/31/05 12:02 PM Re: Harmony 659 remote and 990 pre-amp - works GREAT!
Mike in Virginia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lansdowne, Virginia
I've got five remotes on the table, so I sprung for the MX-700. After the investment in the stuff below, it seemed like an extra $100 for something with the MX-700's features and ease of use for spouses was not a very difficult choice. (And the possibility of getting Gonk's advice if I really screw up the programming was a nice potential side benefit wink (but we're not taking anything or anyone for granted here).) The Harmony series looked really good, but the flexibility in programming seemed a little greater with the Universals.
Outlaw LCR center
Oppo OPDV971H DVD
LiteOn 5005 DVD recorder
SA 8300HD/DVR STB
Dual 1219 phono
Ion Tape2PC USB
Harmony 620
Samsung HLR5078W

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
scoooter 2
butchgo 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics