Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#55430 - 07/25/05 12:24 PM Video Noise Through Component
greg099 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Florida
I bought the 990 at first opportunity, and so far it has performed very well in my system. I have noticed a problem with the component video switching, and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

With DVD source material, I see horizontal bands doing a slow roll up the screen. It is really easy to see in dark scenes, but it is going on pretty much throughout.

When I connect the Component cable directly to my projector I do not see this problem, so I'm assuming it is being introduced in the 990. I've tried switching cables, but the same thing occurs.

Any thoughts?

Greg

#55431 - 07/25/05 12:38 PM Re: Video Noise Through Component
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't run into that in my setup, I'm afraid. I've run 480p and 1080i through the component switching without any problems. I assume you've verified that the extra component cables (presumably the ones going from DVD to 990, since the ones from 990 to projector are most likely a lot longer and were the ones you moved to the DVD player) aren't the culprit. Somebody else may have a more useful thought, but in the interim it couldn't hurt to quiz the Outlaws as well.

#55432 - 07/25/05 01:49 PM Re: Video Noise Through Component
Lawrence Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: California
Sounds like "hum" bars. There's a difference in ground potential somewhere in your system. The most common cause is the cable tv input. Try disconnecting other inputs while the video is passing through you 990 and see if the bars dissappear.

#55433 - 07/25/05 02:03 PM Re: Video Noise Through Component
greg099 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out when I get home.

The cable run to the projector is admittedly pretty long, but when I connect that same cable directly to the DVD player the picture is pristine.

I'll try disconnecting the other sources and see what happens.

Thanks!

Greg

#55434 - 07/25/05 02:09 PM Re: Video Noise Through Component
Rene S. Hollan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Monroe, WA
I support what Lawrence thinks. This is a classic "ground loop" symptom, that manifests it self as "hum bars", which look like what you are seeing.

#55435 - 07/25/05 03:03 PM Re: Video Noise Through Component
greg099 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Sorry to be ignorant here, but does that mean it is a power supply/line conditioning issue? I mean, if I disconnect the cable box and the bars disappear, how do I fix it so that I can leave the cable device connected and eliminate the bars?

#55436 - 07/25/05 04:00 PM Re: Video Noise Through Component
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
You can certainly fix this by connecting everything to an all-in-one line conditioner (with phone and coax cable pass thru, that is). If you already have a line conditioner and don't want to spend the scratch, you can get in line coaxial products to add to your cable (like this one.

#55437 - 07/25/05 04:08 PM Re: Video Noise Through Component
Rene S. Hollan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Monroe, WA
greg099: it is a subtle problem that is difficult to explain to non-technical people (and is often mis-explained by sales types). :-( It is not a simple power supply/line conditioning issue.

Google for "ground loop", and "hum bars" for more information.

Basically, you have two pieces of equipment with different ground references (because of different resistances to ground on each of them), and a ground connection tying them together that is part of a signal line, e.g. the shield on an interconnect. This forms a circuit with one big loop that tends to pick up 60 Hz "hum" from the 60 Hz power distribution system. That "hum" is effectively added to the signal. No amount of filtering will remove it -- you have you "break the ground loop".

This is why most audio equipment is doubly-insulated with two-pronged plugs, instead of three-pronged plugs. If a safety ground (the third prong) is present, it must be connected to the chassis, to which the signal ground is usually conencted as well. Without that safety ground, there is no opportunity for a loop, since the power transformer "breaks" any possible loop. It's when you have two grounded pieces of equipment that trouble can start with a ground loop between them. The cable feed, by law, has it's shield grounded, and so, is a common culprit. Computers are another. Of course once a piece of equipment picks up ground loop hum, it will pass it along, even if there is no ground loop between it and anything downstream of it.

The first step is to try to find where the loop is. Remove all pieces of equipment, particularly, those with cable, satellite, or computer connections, and those with three-pronged power cords, one by one. When the hum bars go away, you've identified one end of the loop.

Fixes all revolve around breaking the ground loop. For RF sources, like cable TV, you can use two 75 to 300 ohm RF transformers back to back (this won't work for satellite systems which need a DC path from the STB to power the LNB. You can try replacing analog audio interconnects with optical ones (coax ones may or may not have a transformer to break the loop). You can try audio transformers specifically designed for this purpose on analog audio lines. But, be warned, good ones are expensive, running several hundred dollars.

There is one thing you should not do, no matter how tempting: remove the safety ground from a piece of equipment. That is, do not be tempted to get a three-prong to two prong adaptor and use it to remove the loop. While fine, for temporary testing, to help isolate the loop, this is very dangerous as a permanent solution.

The purpose of the safety ground (third prong) is to short-circuit any "hot" power connection coming lose and touching the metal chassis. If you touched the chassis, and were grounded (also touching the chassis of a grounded piece of equipment, or a cold-water pipe, or standing on damp concrete (in a basement), you'd get a shock, which could be fatal. When the chassis is grounded, back to the electrical panel, via the third prong, the short-circuit will blow the fuse, or breaker, before you can get shocked. Remove the safety ground and you lose this protection.

One technique I have used in the past, was to wire up a small utility box with an ungrounded GFCI, and ran the offending equipment through that. This removed the safety ground, but offered safety in another way: if there was a short to chassis, and an alternate path for the power return current (e.g. your body), the GFCI would trip. The problem with this, is that shield in the interconenct to the other offending piece of equipment: a high current can flow in that path, causing heating and a fire, before the GFCI, or fuse or breaker can blow. Some consider that a small enough risk. But, I would not advise it if you are not comfortable with it -- a safety ground is really the best.

#55438 - 07/25/05 04:19 PM Re: Video Noise Through Component
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you unhook the cable box and the problem disappears, then the problem is coming from the cable TV. You can further verify it by only disconnecting the RF cable from the cable box (leaving it completely hooked up otherwise). If the problem is related to the grounding on your cable TV service, there are several products that you can buy to put in line with the cable TV signal to alleviate the problem. I did a search through some old threads in the forum and came up with a few ranging from the expensive side to the very reasonable: MIT ISO-LinQ (probably on the pricy side), Mondial Magic Box (also pricy at $100), Dayton isolator (at $10 or so from Parts Express, this is an excellent thing to start out with if you do determine that you have a ground problem), and the Jensen VRD-1FF Cable TV RF Isolator (available from Markertek for $50).

#55439 - 07/25/05 06:44 PM Re: Video Noise Through Component
greg099 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks again for the education, gents. I will be going through the troubleshooting tonight.

Greg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM