Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#55318 - 07/14/05 11:26 PM been almost 30 days .. thoughts....
travk13 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: iowa
okay as most of you as well as i see it has been quiet in here .. probably due to the fact all of us are running all our favorite dvd and cd tracks through this wonderful piece of machinery.. i (who was quite the skeptic)have found that the 2 channel in bypass and upsample has really impressed me .. i havent had a prepro with this good of 2 channel.. even true 2 channel preamps have thier hands full ... dvd well yes as some say it doesnt get loud fast .. well i like that .. i have noticed many effects come out as volume increases.. it still gets to maximum listening levels .. who cares if its dial goes way past where is loud enough for you .. one feature i really like is night mode.. i have 2 young children and when the go to bed i hit max night mode and wow still sounds great and not bother kids.. all in all it is a hit in my home .. oh and you know those systems that as volume gets higher so does the (clutter) sound .. loss of imaging... this guy holds on strong.. a concert in my living room..

anyhow .. way to go outlaw .. thanks scott!!!

#55319 - 07/15/05 04:43 PM Re: been almost 30 days .. thoughts....
K-Man Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Olathe, KS
Two words: Bloody Awesome!

#55320 - 07/15/05 08:29 PM Re: been almost 30 days .. thoughts....
Outlaw_Tim Offline
Gunslinger

/agree

I just moved into corporate housing with a crappy TV, DVD player and two speaker CD 'system'; I miss my 990/770 combo!

#55321 - 07/15/05 09:57 PM Re: been almost 30 days .. thoughts....
Pythagore Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Kanata, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by travk13:
okay as most of you as well as i see it has been quiet in here .. probably due to the fact all of us are running all our favorite dvd and cd tracks through this wonderful piece of machinery.. i (who was quite the skeptic)have found that the 2 channel in bypass and upsample has really impressed me .. i havent had a prepro with this good of 2 channel.. even true 2 channel preamps have thier hands full ... dvd well yes as some say it doesnt get loud fast .. well i like that .. i have noticed many effects come out as volume increases.. it still gets to maximum listening levels .. who cares if its dial goes way past where is loud enough for you .. one feature i really like is night mode.. i have 2 young children and when the go to bed i hit max night mode and wow still sounds great and not bother kids.. all in all it is a hit in my home .. oh and you know those systems that as volume gets higher so does the (clutter) sound .. loss of imaging... this guy holds on strong.. a concert in my living room..

anyhow .. way to go outlaw .. thanks scott!!!
IF you don't mind me asking. What other pre/pro did you listen to?

#55322 - 07/15/05 11:21 PM Re: been almost 30 days .. thoughts....
kgveteran Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Upstate NY
I have had my 990 for about a month also.HT is smashing.All the surround modes are great.Once in DD +PLIIx , I still can't figure how to get back to plain DD.DTS sounds fantastic.I watched Jurrasic Park and was very impressed by all the effects.I'm still trying to get my computer on board to do some dialing in of my mains and subs.Seems in the analog input(audio only) my sweeps aren't being crossed over by bass management.Only digital inputs are crossed over.I tryed the USB and the sweep was produced by the computer and recieved by the 990, sounded great and come to find out once the USB port is used on my computer the input is disabled.Solution is new soundcard with an optical out.Keep you posted on that (if you care).

AM/FM probably would work better if I didn't live so damn far from the city.I do listen occationally.

The 7.1 pass through has got me stumpped.It's in the disc's not the 990.They sound fantastic five times over.PinkFloyd was the best.Diana Krall is super.Some bassmanagement functions don't work on certain discs.It's the discs not the 990.Others work fine.

The PLIIx is so cool.I can't seem to get one setting right for all the discs so when I go to listen I bring up the menu and dial it in.One to mention that bowls me over and over is Enya-Watermark.Once I get it dialed in it reminds me of my old Lexicon CP3+.The music mode on that machine was the best and the 990 tops it with better top end.I guess the original chip in the lexicon limited the high end.Others to mention that were great were Genesis-Trick of the tail.

One feature on this machine that I find unreplacable is the trigger 2.In 7.1 I use a niles SPK-1.It is a 12vdc switcher that switches from side dipole surrounds to side/rear mono poles.Unreal.That feature rules.It is an A/B speaker switcher that is thrown by the 12vdc of trigger2, how cool.

Trim on the fly is very easy.I am a freak about sub level and play constantly.Front display readable also.Also rear center in my 6.1 rig on the fly works out good also.Too much in the rear center is distracting.On the fly fixes that quick.

I only used the remote to program my Marantz RC2000mkII. All the codes worked with no problem.

I never used auto setup.Manual was a piece of cake.

I plan on using the repeater (IR) to turn on a small monitor (TV) so I can do menu work without turning on my front projector.Can't have everything.

I have not missed my EAD Ovation one minute.This is quite a unit.Since my subs are big (700lbs), I like big stuff and this thing is huge.For 1137.00 shipped you can't go wrong.Nothing can beat it new for that price.These guys crossed their T's and dotted their I's .I have heard of some glitches but not with mine .

Good luck you darn Outlaws

#55323 - 07/16/05 12:18 AM Re: been almost 30 days .. thoughts....
travk13 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: iowa
pythagorn ... i've used several prepro's of past and today.. olden days pre digital was adcom gsa700 then added the gdd1 digital processor to go digi.. then used a marantz 600 with their digi decoder.. bounced awhile then used a HK sig 2.0 and 2.1 .. ok then decided prepros were not keeping up with tech for awhile .. so went to recievers as prepros .. used hk7300 , onkyo801 (great for price) . ... hk 310 ... the rest of my system is a ATI 1506 bridged to 3x300 for my tannoy d6c center and tannoy dmt12II mains .. then i have a adcom gfa 545 pushing tannoy saturn8 floorstanders in rear.. oh .. i was a huge klipsch guy for years .. k horn's and forte's are two of the best speakers ever created in thier $$ range and beyond a bit .. i've heard the ref's .. if you ever wanted to upgrade speakers and still have a klipsch sound tannoy dual concentric style speakers would be what you want to audition.. the wave guide system gives a comp horn type sound but takes some harshness away.. but tannoy's are not cheap .. but if you ever had a chance check em out ... oh and i have auditioned the emo big dogs .. very impressive .. but even after hearing them i am still more impressed with my outlaw / ati ... 2 channel the outlaw hands down .. but HT the emo is a maybe a tad better .. but you must realize the emo is a 2500+ prepro .. pyth if i had bunches of cash i would have to say the audio control maestro is the most impressive prepro ive heard but at $5999 my wife would have my a__!! i am not a nad or even a anthem fan .. they seemed compressed .. well not the anthem d1 but that again is getting into another ball park price wise...

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM