Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#55249 - 07/07/05 05:37 PM Problems With DVI Video Switching
deerhound Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Is anyone else having the following issue?

I have my HD Cable Box (Motorola) attached via the DVI input 1 and my HDMI DVD player on DVI input 2, the DVI output goes to my Mitsubishi W52525 HD TV. When I first switch to Video 1 (the DVI input 1 with my Motorola connected) and an HD program is playing, I get a screen that is vertically split about 75% to the left and 25% to the right, almost as if the whole picture has been shifted left and the left edge is rolling over on the right hand side! I can resolve this issue by changing to a non HD TV channel, then when I go back to the HD, everything is correct. This did NOT happen when the 990 was not in the chain and I have tried taking it out and the problem does not occur - Yet reappears when I put the 990 back in the chain. I am using the same cables with and without the 990, so it's not a cable issue. On a positive note, the picture is stunning and I can see absolutely NO degradation whatsoever whilst using the 990.

#55250 - 07/08/05 10:33 AM Re: Problems With DVI Video Switching
assid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: TX
possible answer...

My Toshiba HD CRT RPTV (57H83) owners manual cautions that when using a DVI device connected to the TV, watch the order of "turn on".

That is, turn on the TV first, then turn on the DVI source device (or, in you case, the chain of devices that are in the DVI signal path).
When turning off your electronic components, turn off the DVI device(s) first, then the TV.

My understanding is that this is to prevent getting "out of sync" with the DVI signal. So, why is it doing it now, when it didn't do it before? My guess is that now that you have installed the 990, you have changed the order in which you turn on your components.

BTW, before I received my 990, I had been using a Geffen DVI switch box (pretty slick little device actually, with remote control) to switch between the DVI outputs of my Oppo DVD player and my Samsung TS-360 D*TV satellite receiver.
Comparing it's performance with the DVI switching of the 990, I notice no difference in signal quality.

The only other thing that I can think of that could be a factor (although I doubt it, as you say it clears up if you switch to a SD channel, then back to an HD channel) is that now your combined DVI cable length is probably longer then before (when you didn't have DVI switching)...for obvious reasons. You can have signal loss with long DVI cable lengths of poor cable qualtiy. My owner manual cautions against a DVI cable length greater than 3m. However, my combined cable length is on the order of 6 meters, and I have no problem (and other people have DVI lengths of even much greater with no problems). But, you never know. I'd bet my money though that it's the timing issue I mentioned previously.

Just make sure your TV is turned on, ready to receive a DVI signal, before you send it that signal.

Looking at it another way, the TV should be the first on and the last off.
Rocket RS 850's, 550's, Polk LS 90's
SVS PB-12 Ultra

#55251 - 07/09/05 01:02 AM Re: Problems With DVI Video Switching
deerhound Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Assid, I think you are right. When I turn the TV on first, everything is OK. I guess I will just turn things on in a specific order from now on.

Thanks

#55252 - 08/22/05 03:13 PM Re: Problems With DVI Video Switching
Mike in Virginia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lansdowne, Virginia
Deerhound,

I'm about to set up a new Samsung like you have it, and I wonder if you were successful avoiding problems by turning the TV on first and off last?

Thanks.
Outlaw LCR center
Oppo OPDV971H DVD
LiteOn 5005 DVD recorder
SA 8300HD/DVR STB
Dual 1219 phono
Ion Tape2PC USB
Harmony 620
Samsung HLR5078W

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM