Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#55150 - 07/03/05 04:03 PM Dead 990?
tg3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle
I tried to set up my 990 yesterday, and I believe the unit is either locked up or (mostly) dead.

I connected my VCR, DVD and cassette players. TV is connected via the composite output. I configured the sources using the on-screen display, so I know I have a viable video output from the 990 to my TV.

First problem. The remote never could turn the 990 on or off. The menu and navigation buttons worked.

Second problem. No video for either of my sources. I had a video tape in the VCR and a DVD in the DVD player running, and I could not get an image.

Final problem. Now the remote does absolutely nothing. Put in another set of batteries just to be sure. Also, the 'Input' button on the 990 no longer changes the input. The AM/FM radio works.

So either the unit is 'locked up' or mostly dead. Is there a 'reset' function somewhere? Any other ideas?

Of course, telephone support is offline for the holiday weekend...

#55151 - 07/03/05 04:17 PM Re: Dead 990?
Rene S. Hollan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Monroe, WA
I was a bit confused regarding the remote at first too.

There is no "power on" on the main remote: you select the input source on the bottom rows of the remote. However, these functions (that control the 990) only work if the remote is controlling the 990. To do that, you have to press the TNR button toward the top of the remote. That selects the 990 to control.

The PWR button only turns the 990 off, it does not turn it on. However, if another input is selected (via the top rows of buttons), for which the remote has been programmed, it will likely turn that input device on and off.

The main outputs will transcode composite and svideo to component video, and digital to multi-channel analog audio, but only for the main outputs. However, the video1 rec/out, aux/out, and tape/out outputs offer no transcoding: composite to composite, svideo to svideo, two channel analog audio to two channel analog audio. The manual is a little vague on this in places, but the unit operates like most other pre/pros in this regard.

Hope this helps.

#55152 - 07/03/05 05:33 PM Re: Dead 990?
tg3 Offline
Gunslinger

Renee,

Remote now works.

Cassette player works.

VCR now works. Had it connected to the wrong input...

DVD audio works (optical input), but still no video signal (connected to COMP-DVD). Will try different inputs and cables, but clearly the unit is not dead.

Thanks 10^6!

#55153 - 07/03/05 06:39 PM Re: Dead 990?
tg3 Offline
Gunslinger

All fixed.

Because I am (for now) using a composite output to the TV, I had to downgrade the DVD video to either composite or S-VIDEO.

Many thanks again.

#55154 - 07/03/05 09:14 PM Re: Dead 990?
Rene S. Hollan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Monroe, WA
Glad to see it's working for you, tg3.

On the main outputs the 990 will transcode between composite and svideo (both ways), and between composite or svideo to component. But, it will not transcode between component and composite or svideo.

You can freely connect both the composite or svideo outputs of the DVD player as well as the component out, and select the type of input. That way, if you ever connect a better cable than composite to your TV, you can just select the different input type.

Enjoy.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 107 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM