Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#55144 - 07/02/05 11:47 AM Possible date for software update?
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

I know I for one, have listed a LONG list of hopes for a softeware update, ranging from just plain silly, to REALLY important.
My biggest compaint has to do with mode selection. When I listen to stereo PCM, I want upsampling as defalt, not PL2-Cin. I cant's get the 990 to understand this, and it takes MANY clicks to get there, and have no way to see what it's in untill I get up, peek around the speakers, and get right up on the front panel and hit a mode button (which changes the mode before I knew what I was in to start with)
When I listen to DD5.1, I want DD+PL2M; and not have to click through all the other "VS"
I want to see all these things like the 950 did on the vidio out!
I know the outlaws must be busy as can be, and I know there are tall orders on the board; some may not be possible. However, I would like to know if any plans are in the works...

#55145 - 07/02/05 01:13 PM Re: Possible date for software update?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Based on a comment I offered about the front panel display and the sync button on the remote, Outlaw is maintaining a list of items to include in some sort of software update. I took that to mean that they were leaning on the programmers to start evaluating the list and determining what options are supported by the existing hardware and software, and to then begin working up an update. Bottom line: I have no doubt that an update is in the works, but it may take a while to be ready for primetime.

I'm curious about your upsample quandary. I have used a little "trick" on both the 950 and now the 990 to deal with my desire to use very different processing modes for CD's and DVD's: I have two different inputs both set to use the same digital input (the one coming from my DVD player, which doubles as a CD transport). One input (DVD) defaults to full surround processing (including Cirrus Extra Surround on the 950 and PLIIx on the 990). The other input (CD) defaults to stereo (specifically upsample on the 990). Would a method like that offer the functionality that you are looking for.

#55146 - 07/02/05 05:08 PM Re: Possible date for software update?
assid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: TX
I do what Gonk does....as I have only the Oppo player for DVD's, CD's and DVD-A. I'm using the Oppo's digital output and when I select DVD on the 990, it defaults to Dolby Digital blah blah. When I select CD on the 990, it defaults to upsample, as that's what I told the 990 to default the CD input to.
Rocket RS 850's, 550's, Polk LS 90's
SVS PB-12 Ultra

#55147 - 07/03/05 10:08 AM Re: Possible date for software update?
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks guys
I know what you mean (I think). But I still have a problem. It has to do with my dish network music channels (dish, by the way, outputs PCM @ 48k, sounds uncompressed; other vidio providers I'd tried only send DD 2.0 and it's highly compressed) I'd been able to see the siganl type (PCM, 48k) on the 950, I can't now, which I hate. But the real issue is this: I set a mode key for optical 1 (my dish 921), stereo upsample, and I name it as such, and I set the mode in the setup screen; then I set a 2nd mode button to the same input, but set DD+DPL2Music in the setup screen as the default, and I name it as such. Now I play PCM 48k from the Sat and press 1st mode button, horray! I have upsample stereo! BUT, my wife changes channels to something with DD, the machine reverts to that same DPL2Cinima (but now it's called movie, so the M looks like the M in Music from a distance) if it's 2.0 (which I can't see anymore, just have to listen for), or Dolby something (I was too aggravated to try to gleen what, by counting mode changes, because again, you can't see current mode unless you change it, which means you only see the NEXT mode) when it's DD 5.1. Now, having my presets, I didn't worry. I go to a PCM channel, hit the Upsample mode button, and, no good...the mode as seen in the setup screen has reverted back to a DPL2 Cinama (Which, BTW, I think sounds much worse than the 950).
Of course the opposite is true, meaning when I have a DD 5.1 digital input, All is well on the funtionality of the setup default "preset2, DD", but the second a DD 2.0 siganl or PCM comes along, it changes the default, and when I get my 5.1 DD signal back again, I no longer have my user set default (DD+PL2Music)
Even if I didn't have the PCM issue to contend with from dish, switching between 2.0 and 5.1 is common to all carriers. This has become so troublesome (at the start of every film, I have to get up, click with a pause between each mode just so I can read the whole thing to be sure "Music" not "Movie" mode is on, and of course the sound is studdering on and off as I do this, and my guests think I don't know what I am doing and offer to help) I am thinking of sending this back before my 30 days is up. I really love the upsample, but my 950 does better for everyday. I have yet to try the DTS; I'll have to make time for this important test. as well as my serious concerns about the sound of DPL2 from stereo (the 950 sounded pretty good, my 1st impressions here are not favorably, perhaps though I am wrong, anyone else think this?)
Now, this applies to DVDs as well, some redcordings are in uncompressed PCM, others DD 5.1, ect. Again, the preset function is unreliable if you feed it some other siganal and then go back to the first.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 107 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM