Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#54878 - 06/21/05 01:26 PM Joined the wait list - migrating from audio (finally)
Rene S. Hollan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Monroe, WA
Well, I did it. I ordered a 990. I've been planning to augment my two channel system with an A/V pre/pro for quite some time, and have recently started the transformation process. I would have waited a while before actually ordering a 990 (well, adding myself to the waiting list to be invited to order one), but fate intervened: my 20 year old Bang & Olufsen 5500 (audio only) system finally gave up the ghost. I'd been running two channel audio from the DVD/Cable box into the aux in of the B&O, and driving a pair of Radia 520i L+R speakers via a custom Acoustic Visions pass-thru sub (the Radias don't like much energy below 80 Hz).

I'd been planning a migration to a 5.1 or 7.1 system, still retaining decent two-channel performance for some time, and the 990 looked like a good match, and recently purchased an Odyssey Stratos Plus amp to replace the Carver TFM-22 (which could eventually do surround duty for a while) driving the Radias. With the B&O finally dead, the need for a preamp, any preamp suddenly became pressing -- here I'd just bought a new amp, and my preamp died two days later. Wahhhh! frown mad

My migration will be slow, as I intend to purchase decent equipment over time. I'm open to comments and suggestions regarding what I'm planning in the following phases:

Phase 1: upgrade L+R amp (and, now, purchase 990 A/V pre/pro). The idea originally was to replace the Carver TFM-22 amp driving the Radia 520i L+R speakers with a Stratos Plus, but still run two channel audio via the B&O preamp through the powered sub pass-through, to the amp, to the Radias. Of course, with a 990 coming, I can properly route digital and analog audio signals through it instead, and drive the Stratos Plus driving the Radia 520i L+R speakers directly, with a separate line to the sub. (Yes, the stratos offers balanced inputs). Since the sub has its own crossover, I suppose I can either (a)run it "wide open" crossed at 150 Hz, and set the L+R crossover in the 990 to 80 Hz; or (b) set the 990 to L+R "large" and no sub, and continue to route via the sub's crossover to the amp to the L+R mains. I guess it depends on whether the crossover in the sub amp or the 990 is better. I rather suspect the latter. smile

Phase 2: Migrate to 4.1 Yes, I don't yet have a center speaker. The Radias image well, though, and I suppose I could live with a phantom center for a while (is this available in all processing modes?). I have a pair or Carver Silver Amazing loudspeakers with broken (curtesy of my son when he was two) ribbon drivers. Stupid name, good speakers. Full-range speakers (complete with three 12 in woofers each laugh ). Repair and shipping will run about $800. The idea is to (a) repair the Carver ribbons, (b) put them into service as "large" mains with the sub dedicated to LFE (where "double crossover" from surround channels and sub crossover will be less critical), and (c) move the Radia 52oi speakers into service as surrounds, driven by the Carver TFM-22 amp.

Phase 3: add a real center channel, and purchase another Stratos Plus. Bohlender-Graebner makes a 220i center channel speaker that matches their other offerings sonically. (The ribbon drivers in the Radia series are a somewhat improved version of that in the Carver ALS and a retrofit for the latter is actually available, so the ALS matches the Radias sonically quite well). At $1700, it isn't cheap. At 70 lbs. it isn't light. The new Stratos Plus goes into service driving the surround Radia 520i speakers, and the Carver TFM-22 is put into service, in bridged mode, driving the center-channel 220i speaker.

Phase 4: Replace the Stratus Plus driving the front speakers with a pair of Stratus Mono Extreme mono blocks. The two Stratus Plus can now be used to drive the pair of Radia 520i surround speakers: these speakers are bi-ampable. There is practical value to this as well: given that the surround speakers are on the left and right wall, driving them with one amp requires long speaker runs, whereas an amp per speaker allows the amp to be located right beside each speaker. Balanced lines, gotta love them.

Phase 5: 5.1 to 7.1 I don't know if a 16x25x9 foot room warrants 7.1. But, if I want to go that route, I could add another pair of Radia 520i speakers, or their smaller brothers, the 420i speakers for rear surrounds, and use one of the Stratos Plus to drive them in stereo (reverting to a single Stratos Plus for the surround speakers), purchasing another Stratos Plus later.

My time frame for all this is about 18 to 24 months, and the cost to get to Phase 4 is about $10-$11k. (Stratos Plus amps are aboud $1200, Stratos Mono Extremes around $2800 a pair, the 220i is around $1700, and a pair of Radia 420i around $2800).

So, just how insane am I? laugh laugh

P.S. Anyone want a (mostly broken) B&O 5500 system from 1985? :p

#54879 - 06/21/05 03:43 PM Re: Joined the wait list - migrating from audio (finally)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Insane? Keep in mind your present company - other folks who either have, are in the process of acquiring, or would like to have good home theater equipment. Around here, you are a poster child for good mental hygiene. smile Ask some other people, and you may get a different answer... wink

It sounds like you've got a good plan in front of you, and a long but enjoyable upgrade path. As for Phase 5, my space is similar to yours (23' wide at the widest point, 17' deep, and 8' ceilings, with the sitting positions all pulled off of the walls), and I think it is very well suited to 7.1. The 420i's would probably more than suffice for that task.

#54880 - 06/21/05 04:22 PM Re: Joined the wait list - migrating from audio (finally)
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
as far as phase 2,i looked around and decided this may not be the best way to go,if:
1. $800 is to ship and repair both speakers.
2. there is other damage to the speakers.

but since i did the 'foot' work i decided to post anyway.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-704

#54881 - 06/21/05 07:02 PM Re: Joined the wait list - migrating from audio (finally)
Rene S. Hollan Offline
Gunslinger

I saw the parts express site. $800 is approx to ship, insure, and repair both ALS ribbon drivers. $1300 + shipping + insurance if I purchased them from Parts Express.

#54882 - 06/21/05 07:19 PM Re: Joined the wait list - migrating from audio (finally)
Rene S. Hollan Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Insane? Keep in mind your present company - other folks who either have, are in the process of acquiring, or would like to have good home theater equipment. Around here, you are a poster child for good mental hygiene. smile

It sounds like you've got a good plan in front of you, and a long but enjoyable upgrade path. As for Phase 5, my space is similar to yours (23' wide at the widest point, 17' deep, and 8' ceilings... The 420i's would probably more than suffice for that task.
Actually, mine is 16' wide and 25' deep, so it's long and skinny, not short and fat. Are you (gonk) familiar with Bohlender-Graebner or just checking out the 420i from their site?

There is a "Phase 6": Add an Odessey Audio DAC and Tempest preamp, with HT Bypass (for serious audio listening), and a second custom subwoofer. About $3400. laugh

Phase 7 might involve retiring the Carver ALS, replacing them with Radia 520i for the theater L+R (including each one's biamp-wired Stratos Plus), adding Radia 420i to replace the moved 520i (with a Stratus Mono for each), *and* a pair of Odessey Lorelei for Audio-only stereo mains. Lesse: $2800 for the 420i, $2800 for the Lorelei, 2X1100 for the monoblocks = $7800. I don't think I will reach "Phase 7" any time soon. laugh laugh Depends on how much I like the Carver ALS for movies and music. (Both the Carver and the Lorelei are full-range speakers - a rare breed these days).

I could save some money by going with all Odessey Audio speakers: Lorelei + two (5.1) or four (7.1) Nightingales. But, I've come to like the dispersion pattern of ribbon drivers, and they work well in otherwise "bright" (due to hardwood floors) rooms.

I think I might be tempted to replace the screen before I did that, though (and am torn between an LCD or a projector). I'd be happy with a 30" LCD for casual viewing if it did 72Op, and a screen/projector for the "real, movie, experience". The 32" Sony HD CRT is fine, but it is both too big and too small for the room at the same time. smile

#54883 - 06/21/05 07:30 PM Re: Joined the wait list - migrating from audio (finally)
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
Quote:
Originally posted by Rene S. Hollan:
I saw the parts express site. $800 is approx to ship, insure, and repair both ALS ribbon drivers. $1300 + shipping + insurance if I purchased them from Parts Express.
glad you are doing your homework laugh
just wanted to present an option,if that $800 was per ribbon!

#54884 - 06/21/05 08:08 PM Re: Joined the wait list - migrating from audio (finally)
Rene S. Hollan Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, painttoad.

One problem with ribbons is that their dispersion characteristics (cylindrical) are sufficiently different from conventional drivers (spherical) that its dificult to mix and match ribbon driver-based speakers with others. The exception is, of course, within a single speaker, and even this is arguably difficult -- some audiophiles maintain it is not possible to do it well enough, and reject hybrid speakers as possible "high end" contenders for this reason. These same audiophiles purchase silver speaker cable at $250+ a foot, I suspect.

So, it's either an all ribbon system (as far as midrange-high frequencies go), or an all-conventional one.

I've found that both the Carver ALS and the Radia 520i are crossed at a relatively insensitive point that they work well as two-way speakers. Of course, the Carver ALS, with three 12" woofers each are clearly full-range speakers, whereas the 520i are not. IIRC, the Carvers will do 108 dB at 1 meter at 18 Hz, though I would not want to drive them that hard as a matter of course (nor risk foundation damage).

In my case, in a room with a flat drywall ceiling and hardwood floors, the cylindrical dispersion pattern counteracts the natural "brightness" well. Room treatments could have the same effect, of course. But, in the end, after some 20 years, I've become fond of ribbon drivers.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 317 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM