Quote:
Originally posted by Pythagore:
I'm surprised that no one can tell whether this thing sounds better than a receiver.

Is this 990 sounds better than an Harman Kardon receiver? Please, I really need to know since I'm in the market to upgrade my HK525 receiver. I'm in Canada, so buy and return will cost me too much.
Since you say you need separates I suggest you might try an amp first. Here and other forums indicate the amp may make the bigger difference in sound quality and loudness.

I have a Denon 3805 receiver and am pleased with it. I have M200 monos on order to see if they make a difference. I have Axiom M80ti 4 ohm speakers rated at 92 and 400 watts.

Check the amplifier feedback sections for more on amplifier benefits.

If you are updating your receiver for newer features, then look for the features you want. If they are on a receiver, buy the receiver. If a pre/pro then but it.

I like the features on my 3805, but I could have bought a 2805 with the same features and used an amp for power. That's what I would do today. Buy a mid grade receiver (3-500.00 refurbed) and an amp 1-2000.00. As features change, I can upgrade pre/pro/receiver later.
x-Statiks, x-voce, x-omni