Their JVC is an S-VHS-C camera (found a little info here on it), which means that it will have S-video and composite video outputs and a mono audio output (maybe a stereo output, but I wouldn't expect it). That would very easily connect directly to the DMR-E80, either using one of the two rear inputs or the single front input -- they could leave the cable hooked up to the back all the time or leave the cable in the camera case and hook it up to both the camera and the recorder. Since it isn't a mini-DV camera, there's no need to pursue a DV input unless they are about to replace this camera (which I'm guessing is not the case). With the DMR-E80, they could transfer to the hard drive and edit if they want, or they could transfer directly to DVD-R -- the hard drive appeals to me, but they might not necessarily need it (in which case the DMR-E50 would work).

As a dedicated DVD player, I would not be as good a performer as your RP91 (judging from the little info I've seen on the HS2), but it would certainly be a starting point that would give them everything in a single box -- DVD playback (including progressive scan, even if it may not be the best prog scan), DVD recording, and CD transport.

I'm probably going to get my DMR-E80 from Profeel , since they have one of the better prices available and were quick to respond to a couple questions I had.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review