Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#54059 - 10/04/05 02:02 PM Re: Official Dimensions for Middle Atlantic Custom Shelf??
Prefect Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
For what it's worth, I just noticed that the 990 now appears on the Middle Atlantic product list:

part #RSH4A5XX

It appears in this list:
http://repnet.middleatlantic.com/rsh/RSHdataDepth.txt

#54060 - 10/04/05 02:55 PM Re: Official Dimensions for Middle Atlantic Custom Shelf??
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
I don't have Middle Atlantic shelves but think it's misleading to list any equipment's depth as the distance from the front to the back if there are cable connections back there. The functional size of any electronic unit should be the amount of space it requires, in each dimension, when it is actually in use. For a tuner-preamp that means it has to be conncected to, at the minimum, a stereo smplifier, at least one input device, and FM. The 990's functional depth is at least 20 inches - probably more if it's connected to amps with balanced cables, for which there are no right-angle adapters.

Giving functional dimensions in the specs (maybe by calling them "space required") would alert potential buyers to possible installation problems instead of leaving them to learn the hard way. It would also increase the reputation for integrity of the manufacturers who started doing it, and maybe even shame the rest into following their example.

I think it was Gandhi who said "Be the change you want to make."

#54061 - 10/04/05 03:13 PM Re: Official Dimensions for Middle Atlantic Custom Shelf??
Prefect Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Not that I disagree with your assessments in general, but the published depth specs are actually the right numbers to use when you are talking about rack shelves. The shelf doesn't need to extend out to the full depth including cabling - that would be a waste (and an inconvenience in many racks). EIA 19" racks are a bit of a different ballgame than entertainment centers and such.

Honestly I'm not sure a "space required" spec is really all that realistic. It could be misleading in many circumstances. Some cables that an individual owns may require more space to fit properly, so you'd still end up with confusion. At least when you see a depth spec, you know that it's the depth of the enclosure, and that you will need to add on several inches to that number to know the total depth required, depending on your particular cabling needs.

If you're trying to jam something like the 990 into a depth-confined cabinet, you have a lot of other issues to deal with. There is a *lot* of I/O on the back of the 990, and jamming it into some inaccessible, cramped cabinet is just asking for headaches. I can't even imagine how you'd work on your setup like that.

By the way, there are right angle XLR connectors (e.g. http://www.audiogear.com/Neutrkcart.html ). I don't think they'd fit very well into the 990, however, since they're closely spaced.

#54062 - 10/05/05 05:58 PM Re: Official Dimensions for Middle Atlantic Custom Shelf??
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks, Prefect, for the link to right-angle XLR connectors. But I didn't see any right-angle adapters there. Of course the problem with making such a thing is that, unlike phono plugs, XLR connectors can't rotate. Or does anybody know of an XLR adapter (not connector) that does?

#54063 - 10/08/05 12:05 AM Re: Official Dimensions for Middle Atlantic Custom Shelf??
Brandon B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louse Angeles, CA
Yup. Switchcraft 45° indexable right angle XLRs:

http://www.switchcraft.com/products/connectors-6.html

BB

#54064 - 10/08/05 12:06 AM Re: Official Dimensions for Middle Atlantic Custom Shelf??
Brandon B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louse Angeles, CA
Oops, sorry, not adaptors. But you could use them to make adaptors.

BB

#54065 - 10/18/05 04:34 AM Re: Official Dimensions for Middle Atlantic Custom Shelf??
Marc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Andover, MA
Hi. I'm relatively new to Outlaw having just purchased my first Outlaw equipment a couple weeks ago for installation into a new home theatre I'm putting in. I purchased the 990 / 770 combo and have been extremely impressed.

My whole setup is installed into Middle Atlantic rack equipment (Slim 5 series 20" deep, 5-43). I ordered both the RSH4A5XX OUTLAW 990 and the RSH4A5X OUTLAW MODEL 770 kits from Middle Atlantic and they work great. Corners are rounded perfectly for the 990 and no gaps exist around. I have posted a picture of the 990 in the rack at http://blackandgoldsales.netfootprint.com/outlaw/img_1161.jpg (the rack's not trimmed out yet so the rough sheetrock edges and the faceplate screws temporarily show). Interestingly the A/V guys mounted the 770 above the 990. I would've thought they'd put it at the bottom, as heavy as it is. I guess they want to have the hottest equipment at the top (good thing it wasn't me lifting the 770 to the top of the rack).

Somebody obviously got the correct cut pattern to Middle Atlantic as the equipment fits perfectly.

Marc

#54066 - 10/21/05 06:36 PM Re: Official Dimensions for Middle Atlantic Custom Shelf??
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

Marc can you say how much the custom shelves cost?

#54067 - 03/13/06 01:13 PM Re: Official Dimensions for Middle Atlantic Custom Shelf??
ducksoft Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: CT, USA
I'm looking for a Middle Atlantic custom rack shelf for the 7125 amplifier like for the 990 pre/processor. The 7125 doesn't appear in the MA database like the 990 does. Has anyone provided measurements to MA and ordered one?

The rack will be totally enclosed on three sides with a door as its part of a 8ft built-in. The top is open through (I figured to let the rising heat escape). Is this ok?

--Tim

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 169 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM