#53883 - 06/13/05 07:00 PM Re: Wish List for 990 Software Upgrades
trikos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Second sub delay and trim

#53884 - 06/23/05 07:11 PM Re: Wish List for 990 Software Upgrades
BrentG Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Bass management enhancement: Add equivalent of ICBM L/R Recombine feature. This would allow routing of bass from center and surround channels to large front speakers, even if a subwoofer is in use.

#53885 - 06/25/05 10:15 AM Re: Wish List for 990 Software Upgrades
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

1: Provide external vidio display information similar to 950, ie: current volume, current processing mode (as well as show if I am in Bybass mode, and wether I'm in 7.1 or stereo bypass), signal input type (DD 2.0, 4.0, 5.1, DTS, DTSex, PCM 44.1k, 48k, 96k)
2:Please make the items display with a a key press, and second key press or hold down causes actual function to happen.
3:Have a setup item that allows user to disable specific pop-ups (for people who don't know what uncompressed PCM 96k is) and allow/stop "first press display/second press action" (for those who really don't want it)
4: Provide a means to access 7.1 analog from frount panel input action, currently doesn't come up as a choice (loading a SACD is one of the few times I am at the frount panel, and I would like switch to this input then so the start of the music isn't lost)
5: Allow pre-selection of decoding mode before appropiate signal arrives; for instance, I would like to select DTS+PL2 BEFORE I start the DVD, as we don't want to miss the opening score in proper mode. Mute and provide message stating "No DTS signal present" till data stream starts. Have this function menu selectable "allow/disallow pre-selection" (for those who's users need full auto in the event they make a mistake, auto being the default)
6: Add the ability to lock out certain modes according to source (I don't want cinima mode on my CD, Maybe I don't wan't 5 Stereo availible for the SAT (PCM48k) and CD, but I do want 7 for both; however, I never want either of these for DVD. I NEVER want DD vertual speaker as my speakers are correctly oriented. This saves menu choices protecting what's left of my sanity. However, some guys only want DD VS and prefer Cinama mode...please allow all choices as default
7: In auto setup, provide a section for low efficency speakers like maganpans (86db 1 watt/1 meter) and perhaps a means to ignore 1st reflections for di/bipoles (I realize this might be too much, currently I cover the rear to do checks)
8: Provide a phase check, or at least polarity during autosetup, or better yet as a second step. (I have 11 amplifier channels, 2 are front/rear subs, bi amped mains; soon 14 amp chan when I go tri-amped mains, stereo subs+rear sub, a lot to keep track of for most)Even with 7 channels and 1 sub polarity check would help a lot of systems.
9: A little auto EQ on the low end
10: A setup selection for absolute level limiter (to prevent fragile driver damage)
11: Make the DVI not look like the end device, just a signal transfer port (I could be wrong about this)
12: Maybe a "vertual extra side" mode that helps the side image that suffers from side speakers not being dead on the side (staggered rearward for better resuls on SACD)
13: A "Rear=Side" mode for 7.1 direct input, with rear trims available just for this special mode. Currently when playing 5.1 SACD, I can only copy to rear with a "Y" cable and a fixed atteuator
14: while we are at it, perhaps a means to direct the height info on channel 6 to the rears/and/or 2nd sub out(which would be connected to a dedicated height driver) when needed
15: Reassign one ot the keys on the remote and and front panel to enable the new "spherical holgraph magic" mode that creats a virtual height that extends below the floor and above the ceiling, as well as true 360 degree imaging...

#53886 - 06/26/05 07:53 PM Re: Wish List for 990 Software Upgrades
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO USA
Jed, what I was referring to was the fact that my 950 remote could be set to lock the volume control to the 950, as opposed to any other component one might be controlling via the remote. So, if I were using the remote to TV channel surf and wanted to turn up the volume on a particular channel, I could use the volume control on the remote, have it adjust the volume on the 950, and not have to switch inputs on the remote from "TV" to "TNR" or however that remote was labeled.

Might be more of a remote issue than a 990 issue, not sure. Then again, might be a "break down and read the manual" issue more than anything else...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jed M:
Although it looks like Outlaw has a huge hit on their hands with the 990, I thought we could use a thread to help the Outlaw's improve upon its already rich feature set. To take the idea from the "anything negative" thread but to make it, well, less negative I thought we could all list what we would like to see addressed/improved with the 990. I realize some of it may not be possible, but having everything in one thread should make it easier for them to find it.

I guess I will get it started:

* In order to make it easier I am just going to periodically edit this post to bring all of the requests to the top. That way the Outlaws won't have to filter through some of the non related posts. The order will simply be in the order they were posted, not in order of importance.

1. Setup through the 990's front panel display like the 950.
2. Allow for the 7.1 direct input to not have to be assigned to a video output.
3. Allow renaming of Audio inputs.
4. Leave the S-Video input active when the selected source is DVI or Component.
5. Have a surround setting for Dolby Digital 2/0 so that the unit will stay in either Dolby 5.1 or 2.0 as the input switches and will not go off to prologic.
6. Trim options available for multiple inputs, not just a global setting.
7. Allow a "bypass" to the 7.1 Inputs so analog audio doesn't get digitized and bass managed by the 990 without having to set speakers to large.
8. Disable the toggle on the 7.1 command. Make it only a discrete on command.
9. Make the OSD progressive scan so it can be displayed while viewing a component video progressive source. Currently the OSD is interlaced-only.
10. Second sub delay and trim.
11. Bass management enhancement: Add equivalent of ICBM L/R Recombine feature. This would allow routing of bass from center and surround channels to large front speakers, even if a subwoofer is in use.

Lou, your post about "a master volume control like the 950" confused me. To me it sounded like a physical change so I left it off the list. If it was a software change please correct me and I will put it in the list.
Oppo BDP-83, Sony UBP-X800
Roku Streaming Stick +
Music Hall mm5.1 table, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp, Pro-Ject Speed Box
Belkin Pure AV Power Conditioner
Audioquest Type 8 speaker cable, Monoprice speaker Cable
Mostly Monoprice interconnects

#53887 - 06/28/05 02:23 PM Re: Wish List for 990 Software Upgrades
Relentless Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago,IL
on the 990 remote press and hold SETUP until the LED blinks twice, then release SETUP.
enter 993.
press the TNR key on the 990 remote.
the LED will blink twice...

Volume Control Punch-Through (page 42).

#53888 - 06/29/05 09:11 AM Re: Wish List for 990 Software Upgrades
assid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: TX
Provide capability to adjust lip sync via front panel display instead of OSD only, as is currently the case.
Rocket RS 850's, 550's, Polk LS 90's
SVS PB-12 Ultra

#53889 - 07/01/05 10:03 PM Re: Wish List for 990 Software Upgrades
Richard Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NYC
Allow 2 channel D/A converter upsample mode line level out via record out

#53890 - 07/02/05 05:44 PM Re: Wish List for 990 Software Upgrades
clo2016 Offline
Gunslinger

Allow support of just one rear surround speaker like the 950 does. At least I was told the 950 does.

#53891 - 07/02/05 08:21 PM Re: Wish List for 990 Software Upgrades
Brian_N Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Add the ability to dim the front panel display like when the sleep timer is active.

Support for single surround back channel.

#53892 - 07/03/05 12:33 PM Re: Wish List for 990 Software Upgrades
darwin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by clo2016:
Allow support of just one rear surround speaker like the 950 does. At least I was told the 950 does.
Ditto! I have a Maggie 6.1 setup, and I just can't see spending another $1K on an additional speaker just to accommodate the 990. I don't understand why the 990 can't provide a matrix for a single surround back channel. Aren't other processors capable of this?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 288 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 491 @ Yesterday at 04:14 PM