Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#53491 - 01/05/06 10:46 AM Re: Any buyers in Canada yet?
quietdragon Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Mackwood:
The problem is that, unless they've changed their ways, Outlaw only ships via UPS Ground.
See also my post in the Tips and Tricks forum.

#53492 - 01/18/06 12:08 AM Re: Any buyers in Canada yet?
formica Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Montreal
UPS is amongst the worst shippers to use for cross border shipping (I have used them numerous times for car parts, and rarely trouble free) and I have no idea why Outlaw still uses them for Canadian orders?

I'm seeing more and more US retailers use http://www.borderfree.com which is run by CanadaPost to cater to US merchants for exactly that reason. The price quotes up front are final costs delivered to your door including shipping, duty, taxes, and brokerage. No surprises what so ever...

Does anyone from Outlaw read these posts?
ROb

#53493 - 01/18/06 12:21 AM Re: Any buyers in Canada yet?
JeremyW Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Edmonton
Formica,
I live in Western Canada and have had nothing but grief as well with UPS. I'm seriously considering the 990 and have a few friends interested as well, but having been burned before with total shipping costs equaling a considerable percentage of the purchase we haven't pulled the trigger on any purchases as of yet. Hopefully Outlaw reads this and responds to improve their shipping procedure. I for one would then have no hesitation to make this purchase if shipping charges were reasonable.

#53494 - 01/18/06 06:28 PM Re: Any buyers in Canada yet?
TheNetGuy Offline
Gunslinger

Borderfree looks nice, I normall send usps Global Express.

Which uses purolator here as soon as it gets to canada, in canada, brokerage fees are cheaper ~ 20bucks cnd , and they are Fast, and tracked.

With any electronics I normally reccomend express or expitied shipping, this is because when i was younger i worked for shipping companies, and all ground shipments are hand 'bombed' out of the truck.
With express Their is much less 'manhandling'.

So with delicate electronics, go Air if you can.

It is not much more then ground when you consider the Brokerage fees that ups charges.
~30-40 more for expidiate after brokerages fees.

#53495 - 01/23/06 04:28 PM Re: Any buyers in Canada yet?
JeremyW Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

All of this info is very nice to know but the fact that Outlaw will only ship UPS makes it all pointless. I've called Outlaw CS and there does not seem to be anyway to ship to Canada other then UPS and they are not looking at changing this. Based on previous experience with other similarily priced electronics the 990 will cost Canadians in the $1700 range delivered to door. This is very frustrating and will make this purchase a very tough diecision.

#53496 - 01/24/06 12:10 AM Re: Any buyers in Canada yet?
quietdragon Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by JeremyW:
Based on previous experience with other similarily priced electronics the 990 will cost Canadians in the $1700 range delivered to door. This is very frustrating and will make this purchase a very tough diecision.
My shipping cost was US $50 = CAD $60. Your cost will likely be different.

990 cost of US $1100 was converted as $1280 using an exchange rate of 0.85. Assessed GST+PST was $180.

Subtotal is $1520.

UPS will ding you another $90 brokerage if you can't avoid it.

OTOH the new minority government promised an immediate 1% drop in GST, saving you $12 if they fulfill their promise.

If you live in Alberta you will save the PST of $90 --- but likely not be able to get around the UPS brokerage.

This more or less brings you even with those in Vancouver who have to pay the PST, but who have a good chance to save on the UPS brokerage!

IMHO you'll have to be pretty sure about the purchase before going ahead since the GST+PST paid over and above the shipping cost is likely not refundable even if you wish to return the unit.

#53497 - 01/24/06 02:06 AM Re: Any buyers in Canada yet?
JeremyW Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks quietdragon, I decided to order it anyways and just suck up the costs as part of my decision when comparing it to the alternatives. The best deal I could get on the Rotel 1068 was still considerably more and everything else still $1000 higher. If I lived in the states it would have been a very easy purchase, I'm just hoping I won't need to return it. Based on what I've read here there doesn't seem to be a significant amount of defective units so I'm optomistic.

#53498 - 01/24/06 11:37 AM Re: Any buyers in Canada yet?
quietdragon Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
The best deal I could get on the Rotel 1068 was still considerably more and everything else still $1000 higher.
Yes, I went to have a look at the Rotel 1068 unit too. I found a demo 1066 locally and the dealer was asking about $1800 before taxes. I went to audition a new Rotel 1068 and the dealer was asking $2200 before taxes. The reviews I've read haven't indicated that the 1068 was a hands down superior buy to the 990. Even with shipping (and UPS brokerage if I couldn't avoid it) the 990 comes out cheaper!

I also found a demo Anthem unit, but the cost was significantly more.

Quote:
If I lived in the states it would have been a very easy purchase, I'm just hoping I won't need to return it. Based on what I've read here there doesn't seem to be a significant amount of defective units so I'm optomistic.
If the unit is defective, I think it might be possible to avoid the GST+PST on the repaired unit with the right paperwork (you've already imported the unit once).

Accordingly to the warranty information (and a previous post), Outlaw should pay the shipping cost including UPS brokerage to return the repaired unit to you.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Today at 03:13 AM