Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#53449 - 05/18/05 07:25 AM On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New City, New York, USA
One question re OSD:

The manual indicates the following:

"if both s-video and composite video signals are input into the Model 990, the OSD can be viewed only through the S-Video jack"

I wanted to use an LCD Monitor for all video output at the location of the 990 (much like the video lcd display on the front of some preamps like the HALO or Rotel preamps), in addition to the normal SVideo and Componant output to a Front Projector.

Can I use the composite output for the LCD monitor, to have any tv or menu displays always appear on the LCD "monitor," at the same time as normal video is being output to the Front Projector via the componant and SVideo Video outputs??

If not, then would it be necessary to "Y" connect the S-Video output to both the front projector and the LCD monitor?

#53450 - 05/18/05 07:25 PM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Anyone???

#53451 - 05/18/05 09:36 PM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
CI Offline
Gunslinger

I am suprised that noone has tried to use the 990 in this way. I think it would be VERY useful to have an lcd monitor adjacent to the 990, as a "monitor" of whatever video is being sent to the actual displays. (as noted, similar to the Rotel and Halo preamps).

Anyway, still uncertain how such a monitor would connect, if the s-video and componant outputs are going to actual displays. (ie Y-connect for svideo, or using the composite video out).

Anyone have any info on this??

#53452 - 05/18/05 10:36 PM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
barnabas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North of Dallas
CI, I will let you know about the composite connection to an 8 inch LCD I use for viewing DVD-A menus from my Denon 3910. This LCD has 2 composite inputs and I am hoping to use one for DVD-A and the other for on-screen menu on the Outlaw.

I am setting this system up this weekend.

#53453 - 05/18/05 11:06 PM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The way that passage from the manual reads, I would expect that both outputs would work for the incoming video, but the OSD menu would only be generated for the s-video monitor output. That would suggest that you could monitor the video at both the LCD monitor and the front projector, but only get the menu at the projector.

Question, though. Since the 990 will convert any analog source to component and display the OSD menu on component, is the s-video run to the projector necessary? If you left it disconnected and only used the component video, you should be able to get everything except component inputs on the LCD monitor.

#53454 - 05/19/05 02:55 AM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
Outlaw_Tim Offline
Gunslinger

This may be off the main topic, but I was fooling around with the OSD settings and with component only, I am unable to have the OSD show up on Video (Edit) 5, component Sat feed; yet it pops up on DVD and other inputs...

#53455 - 05/19/05 05:12 AM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
ender21 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thousand Oaks, CA
I can't get the OSD to appear on my component output either (to an InFocus Projector). I only have my XBox hooked up to the DVD component input and haven't tried any other source or component input, but so far it's a minor annoyance. Could be a bigger one for others, though.

Rick
XBox Gamertag: EnderWiggin21

#53456 - 05/19/05 05:44 AM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks all for the replies....

Gonk, point well taken re using both, I didn't make it clear that the s-video is ALSO routed to a television in another room.

The way it seems, the only solution would be the Y-Connect, from the s-video to both the projector and tv AND lcd monitor. The composite would be rendered useless as far as the OSD is concerned (a shame that all video couldn't simple be routed out of all non-DVI video outputs, including the OSD)....

#53457 - 05/19/05 05:56 AM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
CI Offline
Gunslinger

That's "simply" not simple... (it is very early here... ;-) ).

Barnabus, I am indeed curious if it would work for you. I just reread the passage, and realized that perhaps the OSD WILL output from BOTH the s-video AND the composite outputs (and the component output as well) IF the video signal coming INTO the 990 is EITHER s-video or composite, but not both.

Thus, the question becomes:

Can you input COMPONENT video AND S-Video to the 990, and have the OSD and Video signals output from the S-Video and the component video at the same time (as long as there is no composite input to the 990 happening)?? If this is possible, than one could use a local monitor at the 990 for the video and OSD, at the same time as the 990 is outputting both s-video and component video to the projector and tv.

Does this seem correct???

#53458 - 05/19/05 07:55 AM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm a little wary of splitting video with a y-adapter because I'm afraid you'll lose signal strength and get a diminished picture, but I haven't actually tried it so I'm not sure what it would do. Would it make any sense to feed the TV in the other room from the zone 2 output? That would give you independent source and volume control for that other room, if that is appealing.

OK, I just tried my one s-video source (an old Dreamcast). Fortunately, I have s-video and composite video monitor outputs hooked up just for the heck of it. When the TV is on video1 (the s-video monitor output), the video comes through along with the OSD (both setup menu and pop-up). When the TV is on video2 (the composite monitor output), I get the same - full OSD support. Keep in mind that this is with an s-video source. I don't have a composite source to test, and of course a component source will not step down to either s-video or composite video monitor outputs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics
98,700 Posts