Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#53459 - 05/19/05 08:36 AM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
barnabas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North of Dallas
I agree with gonk about splitting the signal. There is a question I have. On my Denon 3805, I had no video hooked to it except for an S-Video "Monitor Out" connection to the Sammy for OSD. When you look at the rear panel on page 8 of the manual, there is a composite video out near the RS-232 jack labeled #8. I assume this should give the OSD. I will have no video inputs hooked to the 990 at all. I have a Dtronix 2 way DVD switch for Cable and DVD already installed.

Does this sound right about that composite connection for OSD or am I missing something?

I don't care about OSD during normal operation, just need OSD for accessing the menu for programming.

#53460 - 05/19/05 08:40 AM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New City, New York, USA
Gonk...Thanks for the extremely helpful (as usual) info.

I didn't want to use the zone 2, as both tvs use full 7.1....

Anyhow, it would seem that my hypothesis was correct in that without both s-video AND composite inputs, both the s-video and composite outputs will indeed display video and OSD.

This seems to be what that phrase in the manual intended to convey......

#53461 - 05/19/05 08:43 AM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Banabas, we must have posted at the same time. Just missed reading your entry, but as noted it seems that as long as there is no composite input, OSD and video will both display accross the s-video and component outputs, at the same time.

#53462 - 05/19/05 09:39 AM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
barnabas Offline
Gunslinger

So if I hook up my llittle LCD to Composite out, I can get the OSD menu?

#53463 - 05/19/05 09:46 AM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
CI Offline
Gunslinger

It would seem so...as long as there is no composite INPUT happening at the same time.

#53464 - 05/19/05 09:59 AM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
barnabas Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks CI, no inputs so I should be able to do this. I have always wondered why I kept all those cheap yellow ended cables in the closet. Now I have use for two of them; one for dvd and one for the 990 laugh

#53465 - 05/19/05 10:01 AM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Yes, you should get the OSD menu on composite.

I searched the manual and found the passage cited by CI, because the idea of composite output only offering the menu if the input is not composite seemed just too weird. Context is important... Page 10 discusses the on screen display. If you connect a source with both composite and s-video cables, only the s-video input will get the OSD. And since both are connected, presumably there is no s-video to composite cross-conversion, so when on that input the composite monitor out will not get OSD data. If all of your sources use either one or the other (not both), then you should always get OSD on both the composite and s-video monitor outputs.

#53466 - 05/19/05 10:24 AM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk..leave it to you to make sense of the manual !

You probably did well in school with those questions like... "..if a train travels to Chicago at 67 MPH, how many hours would it take to travel for 643 miles on the return trip???..... ;-))

#53467 - 05/19/05 03:54 PM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
Outlaw_Tim Offline
Gunslinger

I understand that S-Video will overide the cOSD Component signal. My issue is, I am not running S-Video at all and I still cannot get the OSD to word on Video 5 using a composite feed.

I've tried everything I can think of.

#53468 - 05/19/05 04:54 PM Re: On Screen Display On BOTH Composite & SVideo Mon Out??
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
How do you have it hooked up? Composite in to Video 5 and s-video out to the display? Maybe we can get some troubleshooting done.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 317 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Veeper 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics
98,700 Posts