Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#533 - 01/06/02 11:13 PM 1050 developed strange problem
Timesnewroman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Sac, CA USA
All of a sudden, there is severe digital distortion when a stereo source plays through the "natural" DSP. Its only in the center and surrounds. I can live without this DSP, but I wonder if this is a cancer that will spread....

#534 - 01/07/02 12:00 AM Re: 1050 developed strange problem
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Very curious. I've not heard anything like this from mine, but I also never use DSP's. Could you maybe elaborate a little more on the problem? How did you determine it was digital distortion? Is it only when using a digital input? What does the distortion sound like? Is it a humming or a crackling or something else all together? Which surrounds? When I hear center and surrounds, that sounds like everything but the sub, is this correct? More detailed information on the problem and any troubleshooting you did may give some of the more experienced individuals around here what they need to solve your issue.

#535 - 01/07/02 10:55 PM Re: 1050 developed strange problem
Timesnewroman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Its most apparent on certain bass notes- the processor inserts a higher pitched discordant tone that sounds clacky like its a square wave. When I play pure sine test tones, its much louder with some frequencies than others, and much louder when out of phase tones are played. With a sweep, I hear the higher tone sweeping the opposite direction as the real tone, and it comes in and out during the sweep. The main R and L speakers do not play the sound- only the center and the rear surrounds. Not sure about the sub since the distortion tones are too high of frequency to make it past the sub's crossover. I think a bit is being dropped somewhere which is why it aliases during a sine wave sweep, and is absent at some frequencies (where the dropped bit is correct).

#536 - 01/11/02 02:44 PM Re: 1050 developed strange problem
Ricco Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: New Ipswich, NH
Quote:
Originally posted by Timesnewroman:
All of a sudden, there is severe digital distortion when a stereo source plays through the "natural" DSP. Its only in the center and surrounds. I can live without this DSP, but I wonder if this is a cancer that will spread....

Are you saying it was working properly at one time? When I got mine a couple of years ago (my how time flies!) I noticed a problem with the "Natrual" DSP mode when I was doing my initial check-out. E-mailed Outlaw Audio and was told it was a known firmware problem and that they were addressing it. Since I don't use DSP modes, and since I've got the memory span of a toad, I completely forgot about this until I read your note.

So Outlaws... what's up with this DSP problem? Is it fixed?

- Ricco

#537 - 01/12/02 09:48 PM Re: 1050 developed strange problem
Jay-1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, FL
I too am interested in this problem since I should be receiving my 1050 Tuesday.

#538 - 01/12/02 11:14 PM Re: 1050 developed strange problem
Alfer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: USA
If I'm not mistaken, the "natural" DSP has had problems. It is usually intermittent. I've heard it once on my 1050.

However, I've found no reason to listen to music or movies using the DSP's. They sound too artificial for my tastes.

Other than that "problem", the 1050 is a good value.

Alfer

------------------
Check out my HT website: The Enormodome

Join Club Enormodome

Join Club Enormodome

#539 - 01/13/02 11:55 AM Re: 1050 developed strange problem
Timesnewroman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Ricco,

Yes, it didn't do this for the first year I had it. Since it started, it is not intermitent.

#540 - 01/13/02 02:40 PM Re: 1050 developed strange problem
Jay-1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, FL
I would like to hear Scott's feedback on this if possible ??

Jay-1

#541 - 01/18/02 11:17 AM Re: 1050 developed strange problem
Fletch Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Libertyville, IL, USA
I am experiencing a similar problem when playing TV sound in Surround mode. The problem is in the surround speakers only. There is a chirping or squeeling. Also, the other day I played a CD in surround mode and the surrounds went nuts with static and all sorts of distortion. Any chance I have a defective unit. Is there something I have done wrong?
Fletch

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
scoooter 2
butchgo 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics