I received my 990 yesterday and hooked it up last night. I don't have any real opinions yet, but the lock on is faster. Also, the surround channels seem to be more fluid and natural. IMO it may sound better than the 950, but I will give more impressions once I have more time to mess around with it this weekend.

I do have a question though. Does anybody know why I can't get Dolby Digital on some HD channels with out Dolby Digital + Dolby VS 5 SP Wide? The manual claims this is "Dolby Digital but used to expand the soundfield when front left and right speakers are positioned close to tv." I really don't like what the Dolby VS 5 SP Wide does to Dolby Digital and I don't need it at all since ironically I don't have a tv (I have a projector screen). I would appreciate any help I could get. Thanks in advance.

Also, I don't know what others' impressions of the size are, but this is the largest piece of electronics (tvs not included) I have ever owned, except maybe our first Betamax in the real early 80's. Here is a picture of it just sitting on top of my rack. For comparison sake, the 950 is two shelves down.

I think its obvious I will need to buy a new rack if I decide to keep the 990. smile