Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#53060 - 05/11/05 10:47 AM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
Cerebus Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Since you have not compared the 990 to any other units out there, I have to say that those who make testy arguments about NO differences in sound quality will need to prove that they do not exist, by the same token.
Absence of Proof is not Proof of Absence. Nor is it proof of existence.
Collecting evidence for either side in this case amounts to the same thing... listening to the box compared to other boxes, over a very large sample of listeners...

Bottom line, I am not sure why we are trying to "prove" anything. Its not like the Outlaws are showing up at people's houses and forcing them to buy a 990 at gunpoint. I am sure the Outlaws would love to sell a unit to everyone.. they took their best guess at what people would buy at price point X, with feature list Y, with costs that allow X > Y to a point where they can pay people's salaries, their suppliers, the landlord and hopefully have a little left over for investors. Given the multitude of variables and real world constraints I am not surprised that everyone does not find the 990 perfect, or even desirable.

#53061 - 05/11/05 11:41 AM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Given the multitude of variables and real world constraints I am not surprised that everyone does not find the 990 perfect, or even desirable.
And here is the real underlying truth behind any discussion of what features are essential, desirable, or useless. It may seem obvious, but sometimes we forget that a product that may suit our needs perfectly provides no benefit to someone else. Even a product that offers most of the features needed by a majority of the interested consumers will simply not fit at all for others.

#53062 - 05/11/05 12:01 PM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
jhunt1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Yarmouth, ME
Quote:
Its not like the Outlaws are showing up at people's houses and forcing them to buy a 990 at gunpoint.
Are you sure? After all they are Outlaws.

#53063 - 05/11/05 01:45 PM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Quote:
To those of you making testy arguments about differences in sound quality, I say you need to prove those "differences" exist. You won't and neither will the so-called "golden ear" experts.
Yet, you admit if the "circuits" are changed between the 950 and 990 they will sound different, but the 990 will sound identical to $5000 processors regardless of the circuits. Sounds like a testy argument. :rolleyes: Good luck on your processor hunt.

#53064 - 05/11/05 02:56 PM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
Cerebus Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Are you sure? After all they are Outlaws.
Well so far they haven't been to my house. Which at this point is still somewhat frustrating for me...

#53065 - 05/12/05 10:36 AM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
jcmccorm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, AL, USA
I'm with tbng on this one. For my situation (and apparently for his), he's dead-on with his list.

What I really care about is how it sounds. If it sounds better than my 950, at that price, I will be all over it.

One feature I do really like is the sub offset for two channel sources. I don't know why, as I've calibrated my speaker levels, but I always have to turn down the sub for two channel CD listening vs DD & DTS with movies.

Cary

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 264 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM