Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#53050 - 05/09/05 07:46 PM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
Curious that you can make some of your statements without actually hearing a 990 (one presumes that, like the rest of us, you haven't -- and from the tone of your posts it seems reasonable to presume that you won't be buying one).

For example: "Not unless the circuit has changed on the 990". Well, since everything we've been told indictes that the 950 and 990 are totally different products from totally different manufacturers based on totally different platforms, it seems safe to say that the circuits HAVE changed.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. Some say tomatoe -- ok, you get the picture. One has to think that the Outlaws thought that the features, such as a tuner and phono section, would appeal to a broad audience or they would have omitted them. If it ain't right for you, then why not buy one of the many other quality processor/preamp/tuners that list at or under $1099 with all of the 990's features and presumably good sonics. That long list includes...

Opps. None come to mind. You can spend more and get what you want, you can spend the same and get a used unit that still might not have the DVI switch, lip sync correction and USB, or you can realize that no one unit can please everyone. What doesn't fit your needs seems to be just what many people here need. That's what makes it a ball game.

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#53051 - 05/09/05 08:19 PM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
stabie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX US
I tend to agree with BobbyC on this one. No unit is going to be perfect. For me the 990 has the right balance of features & price so I ordered one. If the sound is good, I'll keep it.

#53052 - 05/09/05 08:49 PM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
barnabas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North of Dallas
To each his own I guess. I like having a tuner for listening to FM for when I am doing stuff in the house and for zone 2 to channel it to the patio when I am BBQ'ing.

I crossed the Halo off my list early on because it did not have a tuner...

Yep. you can't please everyone smile

#53053 - 05/09/05 09:47 PM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Quote:
Allow me to rephrase: The 990 is a clear step up in functionality and connection flexibility from the 950. Will Dolby II sound different on the two units? Not unless the circuit has been changed on the 990.
So if the circuit has been changed you admit they would sound different. Using your same logic the 990 must sound different compared to the "Lexicon, Meridian, Rotel, Bryston, etc." since I doubt they all share the same circuits as the 990.

#53054 - 05/10/05 06:21 AM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
tbng Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Red Lion PA USA

They had better be the same, or Dolby could sue them. Maybe it's Brand X vs. Brand Y, but all have to be built according to Dolby's specs.

#53055 - 05/10/05 08:52 AM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
rance Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston. MA
I'm with the dog on this one.

#53056 - 05/10/05 10:44 AM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
But, tbng, the only part that is specified by Dolby is the decoding - the rest of the signal path (bass management, time delay, D/A conversion, volume control, analog path, etc.) will be different for each piece - that's what Jed M is pointing at, I believe. Besides, if Dolby's specs are anything like the specs we produce in my business, there are plenty of ways (some better than others, some bordering on unacceptable) to build something based on that spec. It's not an absolute. Look at computer video cards as an example - ATI or NVidia develops a chip and designs a card to use it, and then five (or more) manufacturers build their own cards based on that design to use that chip - all of them meet the specs, but all will exhibit differences in behavior. The differences may be very subtle, but they will exist.

#53057 - 05/10/05 11:50 AM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
You guys need to cut tbng a break. Obviously his list of good and bad points will be different than anyone elses.

Do what I do and pretend eveyones post is a fortune cookie, but instead of adding "in bed" to the end add "in my opinion".

You guys have a short memory. Remember the thread where everyone made a list of the new Outlaw pre-pros features? The concensus was that there was not a lot of concensus on what the most important features were "in my opinion" :rolleyes:

#53058 - 05/11/05 07:27 AM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
tbng Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Red Lion PA USA
Thank you, morphsci. I am somewhat disappointed in the design of the 990 and will not be purchasing it. There is too much in there that has nothing to do with a surround processor and some key features missing. I still wish Outlaw well and will recommend them to anyone. To those of you making testy arguments about differences in sound quality, I say you need to prove those "differences" exist. You won't and neither will the so-called "golden ear" experts.

#53059 - 05/11/05 10:07 AM Re: The good, the bad, and the worthless
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
Your position that "those who make testy arguments about differences is sound quality" will "need to prove those 'differences' exist" is only one side of this coin.

Since you have not compared the 990 to any other units out there, I have to say that those who make testy arguments about NO differences in sound quality will need to prove that they do not exist, by the same token.

You may not find the 990 well suited to your personal needs, but why belabor the point?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 240 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM