Quote:
Originally posted by AGAssarsson:
The main benefit for bi-wiring, as I understand it, is to isolate the interaction of the Low Frequency drivers and the midrange/tweeter. The movement of a traditonal coil/cone driver causes variations in the impedance of the circuit at the speaker end of the cable, which in turn can create harmonics that are reproduced by the other drivers. Bi-wiring eliminates this interaction.

I have bi-amped my B&W mains, and have found another benefit. While the HF (midrange/tweeter) circuit is essentialy run in bypass mode, the LF (base driver) circuit is run through a parametric EQ between the pre-amp and the amp. This allows for the correction of room/speaker characteristics, without getting the HF signal involved, where EQ distortion would be more evident.

Actually, I don't recommend doing that. Equalizers tend to introduce phase-changes in the signal. If all the signals are equally phase-altered, it's not a problem, but if you're phase-shifting one part of the signal but not another, all bets are off as to what the results are likely to be.

If you're doing it and you like the sound, terrific. Otherwise, you might want to consider getting a higher-quality equalizer ... or go without an equalizer at all. For instance, an equalizer without an RTA is likely to more harm than good ...

Jeff