Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#52723 - 05/12/05 12:18 AM Re: question: will my current amp do the 990 justice?
SteveCallas Offline
Gunslinger

I can't comment on whether or not you will like how the 990 sounds, but I can say that going from Pro Logic to DD or DTS will be a HUGE jump for the better, especially with the dedicated LFE channel.

#52724 - 05/12/05 02:35 PM Re: question: will my current amp do the 990 justice?
assid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: TX
this has nothing to do with stereos.....

Podboy

Yes, I'm in the USAF. Assid is my nickname, but we don't use our nicknames as our flight callsign. They are two different things. Once you become a flight lead, then you'll get a callsign (usually bought during an every-so-often callsign auction your squadron will have). Each squadron gets assigned a list of callsigns for its use. Some of them are cool, some of them are really lame. If you aren't prepared to pay a decent amount of money during an auction, you'll probably get stuck with a lame one. As a flight lead, if you're leading the flight, then the flight plan will be filed under your callsign, and that's the callsign everyone in your flight will use when talking to outside agencies (ATC, etc) and each other. You're nickname usually sticks with you forever, and is usually earned do to some personality trait, screw up, or other clever play on words. But, when you get assigned to a different squadron, you'll have to use one of the flight callsigns that that squadron "owns". My flying callsigns have been Strut, Buick, Mojo and Rocky. But, I've been known as Assid since my first tour in Korea (yes, I've done two tours in Korea...ugh) back in '91.
Hope that makes sense.
Rocket RS 850's, 550's, Polk LS 90's
SVS PB-12 Ultra

#52725 - 05/12/05 09:47 PM Re: question: will my current amp do the 990 justice?
jhunt1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Yarmouth, ME
Gonk, when speaking with the Oppo techs, have they mentioned anything about the upcoming OPDW9916 / Divx DVI DVD Recorder? I am very interested in this unit. Oppo is a very impressive company. You will find that Dennon DVD players, and a few others are pretty much Oppo products.

#52726 - 05/12/05 10:23 PM Re: question: will my current amp do the 990 justice?
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

assid:

Thanks for the background. It actually does make sense and one presumes one way or another helps to create a unified spirit in a unit.

#52727 - 05/13/05 09:46 AM Re: question: will my current amp do the 990 justice?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
John, I didn't ask about the DVD recorder, and they didn't mention it. I'll bet if you drop them a line, though, they'll at least respond (don't know if the recorder is far enough along for them to be able to give you much about it).

#52728 - 05/13/05 02:09 PM Re: question: will my current amp do the 990 justice?
Alvin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mobile, Al US
I called Surf Audio Video (an authorized reseller of Oppo) and asked what they knew about upcoming DVD units. They said they thought there was a new unit planned for fall 05 release, but weren't sure about the date or features. I'd love to know if anyone can find out additional info.

#52729 - 05/13/05 07:50 PM Re: question: will my current amp do the 990 justice?
jhunt1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Yarmouth, ME
Quote:
I'd love to know if anyone can find out additional info.
I did talk with customer service a few weeks ago, and I got the impression that the Oppo OPDW9916 / Divx DVI DVD Recorder would be released soon, but there is no definite date yet. It has gone through beta testing.
You can view the specs @ www.oppodigital.com By chance, I was hoping that maybe the techs had given Gonk some information about the release date. Oh well, I'll just have to wait it out.

#52730 - 05/14/05 11:58 PM Re: question: will my current amp do the 990 justice?
Alvin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mobile, Al US
I commented on another forum about the Oppo unit, and an installer (not familiar with the Oppo) said I should try to determine if it had TrueLife adjustments with the Faroudja chip:
"TrueLife in on your (Infocus) SP5700 menu - it is the Faroudja tweaking - chroma detail, etc. That has been the biggest complaint of the Faroudja based upconverting players - is the Faroudja implementation is fixed and suboptimal."

Anyone here know if that option is available on the Oppo?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM