First off I've gotta say that on paper the 990 looks like yet another incredible deal from the Outlaws. But its not enough to make me want to trade in my 950.

Here's a few things that the 990 would give me that start to make it attractive:
- one more component video input
- some extra processing modes
- headphone jack
- phono input

But I can live comfortably without all of that for now since I have perfectly acceptable alternatives for all of them, except for the newer processing modes.

Here is the key feature that the 990 is missing:
- full-blown speaker set-up including state-of-the-art EQ.

I've previously posted on the Forum that such a capability was a definite need. Too bad the 990 does not have it. HOWEVER I will be keen to learn if a firmware upgrade in future can correct this ommission or not.

The other is HDMI switching. Sorry but DVI just ain't going to cut it. I want a unit that will last four years or so, and without HDMI the 990 is just not in the cards. This is not a simple firmware fix but perhaps future versions (the 990b perhaps?) will have it. It should have had the capability to start with.

I guess the bottom line is that I need to know a lot more about future upgradeability of the 990. Is it a platform for years to come - or just a stop-gap between now and then. If it's the latter then I can wait.

Jeff Mackwood