I'm ready for the switch just so I can quit seeing the ads. smile

Last summer, while I was still on a walker, our company secretary set out to get her TV's ready for the switch. She doesn't have cable or satellite and doesn't want either. She is college-educated and manages the books for an engineering office, so the baseline intelligence involved was not be a problem. There was a bit of an inherent "change is bad" mindset that was worrisome, but that's not in and of itself disastrous. It was quite an adventure explaining what she needed to do to be able to set one of those boxes up so she could still record TV shows during the day, and since I was lame at the time I had to do it all through conversations at the office and a few sketches. It was messy, and it didn't help matters that the converter box was (to put it bluntly) a cheesy, feature-deprived mess with no documentation to speak of. Don't get me started on what happened when she decided to get a new DVD/VCR with digital tuner and an HDTV - that involved talking to a sales drone, which in turn involved me reading through manuals to verify all of the inaccurate statements that were made.
Quote:
My girlfriend's parents just bought their 1st computer. It has been a bit comedic to me and to her that they have no clue as to how to use it.
This comment immediately made me flash back to a moment from at least 15 years ago, when I was still a summer intern here at the office. One of our electrical CAD guys was asked by the boss to show him and the senior electrical engineer AutoCAD, just so they were familiar with it. The senior EE had at that point never used a mouse, and he would coax it into position very slowly with a fingertip grip, let go of the mouse entirely, and then push down on the left button with his index finger. Each time, the mouse would of course move. He got better eventually, and even had a computer in his office (for email, not CAD) for a couple years before he retired, but that mental picture still lingers...