Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#51197 - 03/01/06 09:27 AM speaker failure
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
I have a pair of HLS-610's from JBL. I bought them about 7 years ago. I've played them 3 to 4 hours a day every day of the 7 years. Lately though,the tweeters sound dull and the woofer sounds like my hand is in front of it. Ive checked them and cables and connections. Do speakers just get fatiqued? When I turn them up loud the sound seems to get muddy I cant make out the words. My 1050 seems ok. too. Thanks,

#51198 - 03/01/06 09:33 AM Re: speaker failure
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Check the woofers. Could be the "surrounds" have deteriorated and need replaced. Others will have more info than I.
HTH
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#51199 - 03/01/06 05:13 PM Re: speaker failure
Michael Moore Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Lansing, MI
Randy,

It sounds to me like your tweeters may not be working. Remove the grills and place your ear right in front of the tweeters while something is playing at a moderate level. You should hear a distinct tinny sound coming from each of them. If not either the tweeter is gone or the high-pass side of the crossover has a problem, I's say the tweeter is the more likely candidate.

As already pointed out the woofers themselves may need attention too. By their nature they can handle more power so are less likely to get damaged by under or overpowering like a tweeter but the surrounds, especially foam ones, do deteriorate over time and may need to be replaced. You should be able to tell their condition by giving them a good look over. Rubber surrounds don't tend to degrade like foam ones but they can come unglued from the basket (frame) of the speaker and cause popping or slapping noises at high volumes as the surround momentarily loses contact with the basket. At rest the speaker looks normal but if you carefully try to lift the edge of the surround away from the basket all the way around you can find this particular problem.

All that said I think you'll find that your tweeters are toast. Good luck.

mike

Who's Online
0 registered (), 248 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM