Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#50947 - 06/09/05 05:51 PM Re: Recommendations for a 50" TV
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
What kind of 43 in. rear projection set do you have ?

Standard def. broadcast should look a little less detailed as the Sony is a very netural set . They tend not to be as friendly as crt displays when showing standard def. broadcast . I guess what I am trying to say is crap in crap out . If you feed it a bad signal it is going to reproduce all the inherit mistakes within that picture more accurately than your crt would . In a manner of speaking they actually work against themselves in this regard .
If you send an HD signal into the lcd I think you will be amazed by what you see .
Dvd's should look better on the lcd than on your rptv . However, I have noticed a trend with Sony 480i & 480p inputs . They tend to be not as clean as other brands . I wonder could this be a conspiracy by Sony to encourage the use of HDMI ? Because HDMI looks smokin on the sony lcd . Hmmm ? Just a thought .

You may want to upgrade to a dvd with HDMI 1080i, 720p output capability . Ask your dealer if he could demo the difference between component and HDMI for you . If he says no he is probably not a very good dealer .

About video essentials . It is only a guide for you not something etched into stone . Also are you sure that the type disc you used was optimized for an lcd display . They do have them but if it was an older disc it would be of little use to you . Again it is only a guide .
If you really want to see what the lcd can look like try having a pro. calibrate the set for you . It will run you $300 to $500 in coin though .

I will share this little tid bit after having gone through some of the earlier posts . The bulbs can run several hundered $ . My advice is to buy one now and have the other one ready for when it does go out . You would probably want to replace the original one in the tv with the new one right away so as to be sure it is not defective stock .

The length of bulb life is strongly reflected on how much television you watch a day . Also how bright you setup the display . The brighter the picture and hotter the contrast the less bulb life you will have . I have seen the inside of several Sony lcd's in for bulb replacement and have found that those who run their sets hot averaged about 6000 hours of bulb life . Those who dialed back the brightness got closer too 8000 hours bulb life . These numbers are again the average we have seen come though the shop according to internal counters .

Hope this helps .

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

#50948 - 06/10/05 07:13 AM Re: Recommendations for a 50" TV
ronrags Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NJ
Thanks for your reply. I'll look into the video essentials for lcd, but as you stated it's only a guide. I'll also look into getting an additional lamp and compare the output. By the way Sony sells the bulb for $200 on their website.

I can't wait to get hd on monday. I hoping your right, crap in crap out. Unfortunately my complex doesn't allow for satelite tv, so I'm limited to cablevision's signal. I'll post my findings after monday. Thanks, Ron

#50949 - 06/10/05 09:45 AM Re: Recommendations for a 50" TV
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Ronrags, I do think you will be happy with the HD on the Sony . I have the chance to see HD every day on all the technologies ranging from LCD, DLP, HDILA, PLASMA, CRT, PROJECTION and LCOS . The LCD can stand on it's own with out any problems . Granted PLASMA and LCOS look awesome but were talking big coin there . Plus cable looks like cable on what ever it is displayed on including plasma and LCOS . The best display for cable is a direct view monitor (CRT) . Cable is what it is . There is not much you can do about that .

Look forward to reading your post on Mon. .

#50950 - 06/14/05 12:14 PM Re: Recommendations for a 50" TV
ronrags Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NJ
Here's my follow-up:

HDTV is great and I'm glad I made the plunge. The picture quality is amazing on this tv even from cable. The colors are so vivid and the picture is almost 3D. You were right that standard cable is what it is. But I was surprised to find the major networks (ABC,CBS, NBC) don't broadcast every show in HD, but PBS does. The non-hd shows on the hd stations are not much better than their equivalent standard stations. The baseball games on espn and inhd last night were fantantic. Even though I'm not an avid sports fan, the picture quality alone draws me to watching the games.

I watched several dvd's over the weekend and came to the conclusion that the lcd picture quality was around 95% the picture quality from my 43" sony rp crt. Not bad at all.

Concerning standard tv, I was able to adjust the picture quality for some stations to an acceptable level. I contacted Joe Kane's video essentials web-site concerning adjustments for lcd. The 2003 version dvd I purchased will work for the lcd format, but they are coming out with a manual on-line that will describe the adjustments in more detail. The file should be out this week and could be downloaded for free in pdf.

As far as the lamp is concerned, I purchased a 5 year extended warranty from pcrichards. The lamp will be replaced at no cost if it goes out during that period. Not bad considering I paid $400 for the warranty and the lamp costs $200 from Sony, the net will cost $200 for 5 years.

Finally, I'm glad I made the plunge after all my research and I highly recommend this sony tv which I paid only $2300. I did a lot research for buying the outlaw 950, 7100, lfm1, denon 2200 and KEF speakers and I'm very satisfied with all. Thanks for your comments. Ron

#50951 - 06/15/05 02:22 PM Re: Recommendations for a 50" TV
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Ronrags, glad to hear you are pleased with your set again and I do apologize for not having got back too you sooner . I have been finalizing a deal on a house .

I figured that you would love HD on that set as it is awesome looking . As for the networks it is as usual all about the $$$$$$ . But PBS is a gov. backed network and it was the gov. that wanted to upgrade the broadcast standard too HD to begin with . It makes sense that they would support the effort fully .
Once more I am glad to hear your are finally having fun .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 222 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM