Thanks for the detailed info about the iScan products. I'm willing to shell out up to $1K if I can get all my switching/converting needs in a single, remote controlled box. The iScan ultra appears like it might work, but is limited by just two component jacks. This would work for me now, but I would have no headroom for future expansion. I've seen some used professional equipment on Ebay that would work, but they appear to be very complex and without manuals, I would never be able to figure them out. Also, most of the old ones (read "affordable") are likely not to be HDTV compatible. I'll keep my eyes open though.
If it helps, the video equipment I'm presently trying to hook up includes a Motorola cable box, two DVD players (Panasonic Rp91 and a Sony jukebox), a Tivo, a PS2, and a VCR. All going to both a small Sharp LCD monitor and an Infocus LS110 projector (with a 100" Stewart screen). I may add a DSS to the system as well. Hence, there are a variety of input/output requirements and options. However, I'm limited by the built-in projector because only a component cable was run through the ceiling and there is no way (due to beams) to fish another type. Surely there are more than a few of us in such a situation.