Even thought the 950 has reasonably good bass management, I am using the ICBM between a 950 and the amp in order to run stereo subs. Stereo subs are discussed in other threads. In my situation stereo subs bring wonderful results.

I experience “double bass” using the 5.1 inputs if:

1) The analogue bass management switch is ‘off’ so that low frequencies remain in each individual channel until they arrive at the ICBM;
2) The .1 of the 5.1 is passed through the 950 and the SUB OUT of the 950 is used to feed the LFE IN on the ICBM.

In this case the low frequencies from each individual channel are combined with the .1 signal of the 5.1 for the SUB OUT of the 950. These are “seen” by the ICBM on it’s LFE input. But the same low frequencies are still in each individual full-range channel going to the ICBM. Because of this, the ICBM will have the low frequency information from each channel plus a mono mix of all the low frequency information from all channels at the LFE input. Thus “double bass.”

The solutions proposed by Bossobass do apply in some cases. A “messy” solution that has a “clean” signal result is to provide a A-B switch for the LFE input on the ICBM. In one position the switch selects the SUB OUT of the 950, in the other position it selects the .1 channel of the 5.1. This .1 channel is not connected to the 950. This requires additional cabling and an extra step in order to switch between 5.1 multi-input listening and any other mode … hence it’s “messy,” unless you want to modify your pre/pro and void the warranty.

I think this is one of those issues that are just not important enough to the designers, manufacturers and sellers of moderately priced pre/pro equipment to either think about in advance or care enough about at some point to actually make or offer changes.