Gerry,
You asked could someone sell you on the 950 vs a A/V receiver [Denon 3800]. I have not owned the Denon 3800 but I have owned the Denon 3300 for a number of years. I liked the 3300, but after a couple of speaker up grades, I just wanted to tweak a little. You know, always wanting to hear just a little more detail, cleaner, something.. I tried the Outlaw 750 for the thirty day trial and liked what I heard along with the Denon. I thought the sound improved, a little cleaner, more punch and just a better quality of sound. I kept the 750, a little while later the 950 was released. I removed the Denon and added the 950 for another 30 day trial. I never looked back. I finally had made the jump to seperates. The Denon 3300 was a good product and it cost $1100 new. The Outlaw was even less and the improved overall sound, the flexibility of separates made it a good decision for me. Of course a new Lexicon or a upgraded 950 II would be nice and with seperates I only have to remove half for a home trial.