Hi Joe!

I’m no good with cabling unless I sitting right behind all my units in person. I need the visual to sort it out since I have not been doing this for myself that long.

I use Occam's Cabling
"one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of [cables] required to [do] anything."

I keep my video straight from sources to display only routing audio through my 950.
But I believe the 950 cross converts any composite/S-video signals so no matter what inputs on the 950 you use, - If you run S-video in from a DVD player and composite in from VHS, and your display has S-video, under the noraml assumption that S-video is your higher quality connect use only the S-video monitor output from the 950 to the display, Whichever hookup you use on an individual source (composite or S) will always be routed both to the composite and s-video outputs, so you need use only one of the two outputs (Comp or S) to get your signal to your display.

Be aware the 950 does not upconvert from composite or s-video to component you need to come component in/component out for any source with component outputs.. As regards digital audio connections you only want to choose one cable or the other (digital coaxial or optical) recommended by Outlaw so attempting to use both (I assume) must disable one or “fight’ with the other.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited August 02, 2003).]