Quote:
(1) It states that only analog sources can be used in the 2nd-zone. What Does this just mean that any optical source won't play like a DVD player?

That is correct. However, if you connect a pair of analog cables from the stereo analog output of that DVD player to the DVD analog input, it will work. And it won't affect the way the DVD player works in the primary zone.

Quote:
(2) If the 950 is in standby and the 2nd-zone is triggered on, the manual states that the primary-zone remains in standby. Does this mean that no sound is sent to the primary-zone even thought the amplifier was triggered?

I don't have my 950 at hand to test, but I'm pretty certain that the answer to this is "yes." As long as the 950's primary zone is in standby, there will be no signal to the amp.

Quote:
(3) Has anyone programmed a macro in the remote to turn on the 2nd-zone with the push of one button?

I never have. I don't use it enough to do it, although I may try this when I get an MX-500 (later this summer, probably). It would probably be an on/off macro, actually, and if you left your second zone on a single input and volume setting (like I do, tuner at a single volume position, feeding a wireless speaker that we drag into the yard sometimes on the weekends) it would be the only button you'd need under normal circumstances. The "multi" command once and the left or right (I think) direction pad button would switch between on and off, if I remember the menus correctly, although you would need to wait for the multi menu to time out to try it a second time or you would end up changing inputs.

Quote:
(4) Outlaw states the 2nd-zone can only be controlled through the setup menu on the 950 if the primary zone is on. Does this mean the "multi" button seizes to work on the remote?

I'm not sure if this is referring to the setup on-screen display (which would require the 950 to be on and delivering a monitor output to something) or the front panel as well. I tend to think it only applies to the OSD, in which case the "multi" button on the remote would still work when the 950 was in standby, but I'll need to try it at home to be sure.

Quote:
(5) Would it be possible to use an external IR receiver and submit the command to turn on the 2nd-zone from another room if the primary zone is already on?

Yes, it should be entirely possible. There is even an "external remote" input jack on the back if you didn't want to use an IR repeater of some sort. You will be unable to see the menus while in another room, though, so unless you are running an on/off macro or have a display in the other room fed from the 950's monitor out it will be difficult to know what you are doing.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review