Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#46341 - 04/30/03 02:53 AM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
Garrett Adams Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by minuteman:
This is interesting. I use the music mode straight across the board. The one time I tried Cinema, I thought it was lacking. I will have to revisit that mode.
Thanks,

I'm not sure you are replying to my post. If so, to clarify, it *was* the music mode I was referring to. IOW, PLII-M = good and PLII-C = not so good.

#46342 - 05/02/03 09:17 PM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I only get drop-outs when the 950 gets to hot. Do you have it in a cabinet? I bought an indoor-outdoor thermometer and monitor the temperature inside the cabinet. When the temp gets over 97 degrees the Outlaw starts to act up.

------------------
MeanGene's Home

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#46343 - 05/03/03 12:13 AM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
alfack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Kirkland, Wa., USA
You know what's weird? I am watching X-Men right now (processor on DD-CR-C)and am having lots of dropouts. Before this, I was watching some satellite tv and was having a bunch of dropouts, also. I figured it was the satellite, until the DVD started doing the same thing. I have my satellite receiver hooked up via optical and the DVD hooked up via coax. Something definitely is not right here.

I suppose it could be heat related. Though it was a little warm here today (62F), it wasn't any warmer than it normally is in my house and I've never had dropouts before.

I took a picture of my rack, but I don't think you can attach to these posts. I can email it to people, for comments, as requested.

I am not an alarmist and have been perfectly satisfied with the performance of this unit so far, but think this may require some looking into on my part.

Allen

#46344 - 05/03/03 02:18 AM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
alfack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Kirkland, Wa., USA
Well, after some experimenting, it was totally a heat issue. I had my satellite receiver on top of the 950, to begin with. I moved it to the top of the rack and started watching the movie again. Sure enough, the dropouts went away. I have seen amps cut out like this before, but never a processor. Moral of the story, make sure you have it on a shelf by itself and have adequate air flow over the vents in the case.

Allen

#46345 - 05/03/03 01:34 PM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I should also mention that my Sony DVP-875P and my JVC HRS-710u VHS player also start to show signs of stress when the heat rises, it's not just a 950 problem. This problem is being addressed in the Cooling Suggestions Thread

Also, check out my cabinet cooling Project web site.

------------------
MeanGene's Home

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited May 04, 2003).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#46346 - 05/10/03 01:08 PM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
As a semi-disgruntled 1050 owner (with a WAF about going to 6 or 7 spearkers), I would love to have a clear understanding of whether the 950 can play Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets without dropouts in a true 5.1 speaker configuration with the 950 configured to playback Dolby 5.1. I am beginning to worry that this is only the first of potentially many DVDs that the 1050 cannot handle in 5.1 mode.

FWIW I would also like to know if any of you are aware of other equipment that cannot play this DVD properly. I haven't found a lot of discussion on the Internet forums that I follow about this being an issue.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#46347 - 05/10/03 04:19 PM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
have a clear understanding of whether the 950 can play Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets without dropouts in a true 5.1 speaker configuration with the 950 configured to playback Dolby 5.1
I own two 950s.
ONE: a full bore system. VA floorstanders for mains, and VA center speakers, small DT Cinema Pro 100’s and the one step up upgrade Sub from the Definitive Tech CP 100 line, for satellites and LF. Right now due to extreme spousal (handyman hat hung up) neglect (pout) I am running only 6.1 here, (the 7th speaker is sitting on a shelf unattended to).

SECOND: 950 setup, The hodgepodge extra system, runs 5.0. Two old 2’ tall Fishers (model #’s and specs lost in the mists of time) for mains, Def Tech CP 100 center channel and SL/SR DT satellites.

Neither setup has any trouble what so ever with audio dropouts on Harry Potters COS, nor any other disc played. (and I’ve played all the major blockbuster each seemingly coming out recorded closer to distortion tolerances than the last one) - through both systems. X men/JP/Matrix/ HP(both)/LOTR etc….

My opinion is this whole area is a case by case setup dependent issue, with an occasionally glitchy unit (pre-pro or receiver) thrown in to confuse the various base culprits.

I have noted last year, that speakers were definitely fried (it was in the various forums) by the first release of LOTR. (DTS and hot/hot/hot).

I have noticed units…receivers or pre-pro’s (any manuf) having ‘issues’ when pushed hard by these blockbusters, overheating, dropping out, flags, etc commented on to a percent by all users of current AV. These traced in each case back to [per system users cabinet/air flow component interaction disc etc basis).

I have had three 950’s cabled into my system, None have exhibited problems, and although I do not give my main system the airflow I would optimally like to, (for least heat, least stress to extend its projected life). I did work with the issue (addressing within reason) for my home and cabinet, and never having a negative reaction I assumed I’ve given this particular setup the lee-way it needs. I also pay attention to ‘web talk’ and caution users here. Any other product I purchased and installed or stacked would need the same attention to its tolerances when mixed with other products which will effectively change the problems on per situation basis. My 950’s (three) have exhibited a great tolerance for pushing the edges on heat (for me). These will however vary from you to me. What if your DVD player puts out 3 degrees more of temp than mine while in use. This affects the total ‘effect’ of heat in your system differently than mine.

I have a wood cabinet with perforated metal shelves for the interior, Front/Back open. But these shelves are CUSTOM to the unit’s place on them. So the front gives the net effect of a solid wall. Don’t tell Outlaw, but my 770 sits on a bottom shelf with a 1” head clearance to the next shelf above which holds my 950.
The perforated metal the 950 sits on, allows hot air to rise that one inch below from the 770 right to the base of the 950. BECAUSE of this, we added the side cutouts in the wood cabinet one adjacent to the 950 one to the 770. You can feel a breeze rising from these two side vents when the system is on for any length of time.

Pretty tight tolerances on heat (AND NOT RECOMMENDED) …the chimney side vents saves me…and all’s well after 2 years and 3 950’s.Heat can affect ANY component in your setup and these interactions I feel are very cabinet/component specific and you need to figure out what tolerance level, your stack/your shelves allow. In addition there is Common sense needed when playing the new blockbusters, per your speakers etc. The industry knows we perceive loud as good and race each other to put the biggest baddest ST out there. It’s ours responsibly to use moderation with these.

Personally I watched 950 posters for 2 years talk about the latest ‘wow’ DVD. Due to my own experiences (detailed above) and months of web talk. I do not believe the 950 has any problem (beyond the odd incidences in the industry, flag…..LOTR ... bad unit, Etc going on out there.

PS, Of the posters who blew their speakers with the LOTR disc, none owned a 950 that I saw. I guarantee my 950 would ‘allow’ me the capability of blowing mine up too, if I didn’t use some common sense with that disc and others borderline kin to it.

Bottom line, I have excessive heat in my setup (beyond recommended). Three 950’s have not exhibited problems with heat, any disc specific issues (beyond documented flag problem discs, nor have posters I have watched on the forums who critique the latest (X) blockbuster through their 950 system.

It has been {my} experience, the 950 exhibits an equal or higher tolerances across the board than some brands, - to some issues which do arise in systems. Heat/flags/disc SM at max recording, etc.

#46348 - 05/10/03 06:29 PM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I have not seen specifics that have rounded the web on HP “Chamber Of S”, except for an issue with playing extras on Macs. There is some sort of encoding on HP COS the Macs don’t like.
The HP “Sorcerers Stone” disc did have issues in some peoples AV setups traced back to finally a studio release of some discs with one version of Copy Protection and other discs without it (or just a different version as according to the studio all discs WERE protected one way or the other).

Could be we have two version of encoding (again) being tested by the studio on COS also which could cause one system to glitch with one version of the encoding while that same version of encoding does not bother another system. ( and the two versions of disc on market as was SS can confuse the issue more).

Here’s an issue which can get you a repeat error performance out of a rental disc depending on player.

“The DVD-RV32 performs quite nicely. Additionally, the disc stabilizer system is supposed to make slightly warped discs easier to read. This feature should come in handy if you rent a lot of DVDs, as rental discs can be badly handled. Even discs with rental clamping area stickers (i.e., bar code stickers) are mostly playable (see picture). Sometimes these stickers causes some DVD players to lose grip of the disc, resulting in difficulty with play back (dropouts) and even loss of play back capability. Other times, the stickers can be applied unevenly, throwing the disc's balance off. The DVD-RV32's disc stabilizer feature handles these cases with little difficulty. It certainly does much better than my aging Sony DVP-S7700 DVD player. Kudos to Panasonic”
Excerpt from following
http://timefordvd.com/hardware/review/Panasonic_DVD-RV32.shtml

And here’s a helpful list of current players with reports of problems (dropout’s etc) experienced by some owners with discs in general:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/glitch_gallery/hardware.htm

Not impossible but I would not worry too quickly about Outlaws 950/1050 not handling any disc even with a couple of reports…this stuff takes a bit to iron out, and I see it again and again (usually traced to something else).

#46349 - 05/10/03 08:03 PM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
Garrett Adams Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
...Bottom line, I have excessive heat in my setup (beyond recommended).

My 950 Owner's Manual only says adequate ventilation. What is the "beyond recommended" point in degrees.

#46350 - 05/10/03 11:18 PM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Lena: Thanks for the two detailed replies. I am still waiting with semi-bated breadth for an "official" reply from Outlaw on the 1050 problem with dropouts. However, as I mentioned in my original post in this tread, I haven't found any mentions on any forums about dropouts like the 1050 is experiencing and I am not alone from the posts on that forum.

As for heat build up, I think this is higly unlikely, I have my system on an slanted, open metal racking system, so that the front of each item is 5-6 inches back of the item above it with plenty of vertical clearance as well. Finally my 1050 is on the top shelf (to get the clearest path for the remote), while my parasound amp is on the bottom shelf. Ambient room temperature in the room is under 70 (24x7), this time of year as I live near the beach in So. Cal. and it seldom ever gets above 85. My biggest problem is rust from salty air.

FWIW, I had no problem with LOTR on my system.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM