Quote:
Originally posted by cappy24:
your right..i was looking at the receiver the sunfire ultimate...can get it for about $3200...prior considerations that i have excluded are the denon 5803 and yamaha rx-z1..so now it is narrowed down to these two..950/770 or sunfire ultimate receiver...

I have listened to both the Sunfire TG3 and the Outlaw 950 on the same audiophile reference grade system. If you like the effect of Bob Carver's "Sonic Holography," you will really like the TG3. There are some other great features too, especially relating to movie viewing and listening.

If you are primarily interested in music, and a stereo purist, who occasionally will use DPL2 (or DTS Neo, etc.), I believe the Outlaw 950 deserves much more credit than it sometimes gets when compared to more expensive A/V pre-pros. In stereo bypass, playing CD's or high resolution disks on a player capable of upsampling, the 950 is in the same transparency ballpark, in fact the same batters box as the others. The bass management control of the 950 is just as capable.

The 6-channel bypass mode is also first rate. The base management solution is very good for most users, but I suspect many others (bosobase in particular) could find more creative and adjustable algorithms that would be at least as good as the triple crossover system the 950 uses for multi-channel digital sources. Regardless, it is also as transparent as the two channel bypass mode.