For those keeping score, here's 1, 2, 3, 6, & 7:

Quote:
1) Me personally? I want non-mono rears a la THX Ultra2, Logic 7.
2) Separate distance/delay setting for the rears.
3) No double bass ever, at all.
6) Distance setting to the sub.
7) Setting in the config for inverting the output to the sub.

1) This is a *feature* that has nothing to do with any of plain vanilla DD, DD EX, DTS, & DTS-ES decoding. For $899, I'll take the CES versions to get to 7.1. For now. I am an 80% 2 channel music guy. If it was 80% HT, then I'd have a Lex DC-2/MC-1 right now.

2) This is genuine. However, I actually tried setting all the config values in the 950 to the same speaker distance once (BM phase test). I didn't hear any appreciable difference on the small sample of soundtracks I tried. (Multichannel music, I admit would be different, but multichannel music is only 5.1 and would use the settings in your player anyway.) And that was with *all* speakers set to the same distance. That's why, for example, when I hear about people holding off on buying DVD-A and/or SACD because of the lack of true time alignment, I just chuckle.

3) Sigh. Using the 80 Hz analog crossover, THERE IS NO DOUBLE BASS. *Most* people do not have full range speakers all around. I consider full range to be -3 dB at 30 Hz. And that is not via company propaganda, that is by 3rd party independent testing a la Stereophile, or the NRC measurements sometimes in Soundstage reviews (www.audiovideoreviews.com => Loudspeakers).

6) You use the phase knob/switch on your sub to compensate for this. I personally would like this feature, but if you understand the wavelength distances involved with setting up proper phase *and* time alignment to your sub, you'd know this isn't necessary. I just want it because my Sony TA-E9000ES had it.

7) The Sony also had this too. I have an inverted input on my sub *with* a variable phase knob, and most other subs have at least a 180 deg phase switch anyway. So how does this affect sonics again?

Any others?

Quote:
Outlaw Press Release: Due to the great demand among forums, Outlaw is announcing their improved model 950, to which we have added one of the few lacking features which many have been clamoring for. We are proud to announce a Cost Increase to add greater usability and audio performance [added] to the 950.

Hee, hee.

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited April 01, 2003).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!