Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4582 - 05/20/04 08:43 AM Avia
clivus Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
Yesterday I finally bought the Avia home theater calibration disc but ran into trouble at the very start. In the audio calibration section, the first test is to verify that the speakers are set up correctly and a test tone travels to each speaker in turn. When the pink noise is in the right surround, however, it comes from BOTH surrounds. Same thing when the left surround is targeted. The speakers are actually wired correctly as verified by direct inspection and by the Outlaw test tone.

I have the 1050 hooked up with 5 speakers (no sub yet). My DVD player is the toshiba SD-5700.

Not sure what to do! Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks!

#4583 - 05/20/04 08:52 AM Re: Avia
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It sounds like you are operating in Dolby Pro-Logic mode rather than Dolby Digital (Pro-Logic does not have discrete surrounds - both left and right get the same signal).

First, make sure the SD-5700 is connected to the 1050 with a digital audio cable and that the 1050 is using that digital input for DVD playback. If that is all in place, the 1050 should detect the Dolby Digital input and switch to it. You may need to switch to the mode manually, which can be done by pressing the "MODE" button on the remote until the Dolby Digital display on the 1050's front panel lights up.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited May 20, 2004).]

#4584 - 05/20/04 09:04 AM Re: Avia
John Boy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I've not been impressed with that test disc.

My son bought one for me after I bought my 1050, and when I ran the "speaker phase" test, it showed my front speakers as being out-of-phase when they are *not*! (I tested the wiring with a digital meter.)

Just my experience.

JB

#4585 - 05/20/04 07:14 PM Re: Avia
clivus Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
Your suggestions took care of the problem. I had the R and L output from the DVD player in the R and L input rather than using the coaxial digital ports. I feel pretty silly because my system has been this way for a couple years now!

Of course, it improved the imaging and experience of my setup immensely. I didn't know what I was missing!

Thanks gonk!

At my level, I actually did enjoy the Avia calibration steps. It was fun to see the SPL meter as I moved around the living room and the tweeks to the speaker levels are a great placebo if nothing else.

#4586 - 05/20/04 09:35 PM Re: Avia
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Glad to hear you got it working.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM