Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#45803 - 03/17/03 12:23 AM Honest opinion of 950/770 combo
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
O.k - I know, most of you might think this is crazy, but, I need to "downsize"....right now I am using 4 amps in my system (been building piece by piece for years)- a Parasound HCA1500 for front Def Tech 2000 speakers, an ATI 1500 for Citation 7.3 surrounds, a Marantz MA700 monoblock for center Def Tech 2000 speaker, and an old Fosgate 4100 amp for "rear surrounds"(old floor standing JBL 100's). All run through a Yamaha CX-2 preamp and Fosgate Model 4 processor w/Parasound CSE 6.1 Center Surround Expander for "rear" channels. It sound really awesome, very clean, but it "overtaking" my room (and my life)- need to downsize. Would I be smart(or crazy?)to replace with Outlaws 950/770 combo? Looks to be a good Pre-amp/Power amp replacement. BE honest!! Smart, or Crazy idea???

#45804 - 03/17/03 02:29 AM Re: Honest opinion of 950/770 combo
The Hun Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Riverside
Yes I think it is a good choice,if you wan't less components and the same or better performance[subjectively].
......and this is from a guy who owns 8 mono amps!

#45805 - 03/17/03 05:18 AM Re: Honest opinion of 950/770 combo
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Daddy Guy,

Maybe, rather than have us look up the equipment you have been building piece by piece over the years, you may wish to tell us some of the performance numbers and specs of your many amplifiers and preamps, procesors and expanders, and maybe also indicate how much they weigh and how you place them on your racks now. The Outlaw 770 is quite heavy by the way. Are you using a subwoofer? Also you may want to let us know how you configure your system now for that "really awesome, very clean" sound you enjoy. What the 950 offers may sound different, perhaps. Do you normally listen to DVD's or CD's and are the CD's normally listened to in stereo or 5.1/7.1 and if the latter you may want to let us know your understanding of how your Fosgate Model 4 processing modes compare to the 950's DPL II and DTS NEO music modes.

Will

#45806 - 03/17/03 03:45 PM Re: Honest opinion of 950/770 combo
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Depending on how much stereo 2 channel music you listen too, I'd recommend getting the 755 with a stereo power amp.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#45807 - 03/17/03 08:50 PM Re: Honest opinion of 950/770 combo
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Daddy Guy,

Maybe, rather than have us look up the equipment you have been building piece by piece over the years, you may wish to tell us some of the performance numbers and specs of your many amplifiers and preamps, procesors and expanders, and maybe also indicate how much they weigh and how you place them on your racks now. The Outlaw 770 is quite heavy by the way. Are you using a subwoofer? Also you may want to let us know how you configure your system now for that "really awesome, very clean" sound you enjoy. What the 950 offers may sound different, perhaps. Do you normally listen to DVD's or CD's and are the CD's normally listened to in stereo or 5.1/7.1 and if the latter you may want to let us know your understanding of how your Fosgate Model 4 processing modes compare to the 950's DPL II and DTS NEO music modes.

Will

All amps but the ATI (150 watts ch) are rated 200 watts per channel, so I am close to the 770 power output. Specs on these amps are close...very close to Outlaws 770. Weight and placement not an issue (except for my poor back)My Def Tech 2000 have built in powered (300 watts per)15" subs in each tower. I just love the surround modes on the old Fosgate. Nothing fancy, about 6 surround choices; pro logic, Fosgates 70mm Movie Mode, which seems like a precursor to Dolby Pro Logic II, which Jim Fosgate designed I think.. ( also my favorite...great with music too), and a few modes for music surround. We're talking a 9 year old basic surround system. Fosgate is legendary for designing and engineering " surround sound" ( I think he invented it, really!) way back in the early days. With 7 good speakers that actually match up pretty well, I usually listen with all speakers, and switch inputs through Yamaha Pre amp that feeds the Fosgate and Parasounds 6.1 Expander, which kinda seems to theoretically work like the "circle surround" on the Outlaw (6 or 7 "rear channels"). Sounds pretty good to me. Anyway, I am pretty convinced I am making the right move to Outlaw to replace the 7 bulky, heavy pieces( 4 big amps) I have now. Oulaws 770 seems like the killer amp I've been looking for. One massive amp to power my speakers.( they all LOVE power!!) I Just hate to part with the Fosgate!! I am more interested in the 950's surround sound capabilities compared to Fosgate(and the comparison to the Yamaha CX-2's "neutrality"}. Somebody must have had an old Fosgate out there that can make some comparisons!!! Any comments or ideas would really help.

[This message has been edited by daddy_guy (edited March 18, 2003).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM