Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4558 - 03/23/04 10:18 AM Need help with used 1050
zmarke Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Since I am not buying or selling a 1050 via this board I hope my questions will not be a problem. I am looking for information to help me make an informed purchase of a 1050 from an auction site.

What was the original selling price of the 1050?

What is the current selling/buying range for a used 1050?

How about a 1050 that is about 2 years old in good working condition but without the original box?

I have downloaded the manual from the website to review but wanted to know if there are any important issues concerning the 1050 that I should know about before I purchase this used model:
processing?
amplification?
remote?
inputs?

I am just starting with home theater and thought this would be a good entry. If I like it I can always upgrade to seperates down the road.

Thanks!

#4559 - 03/23/04 02:09 PM Re: Need help with used 1050
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 1050 sold for $599 when it was first released, but dropped to $499 a year or so later. I've seen them on eBay and such sites for around $400. The transferrable warranty ends at two years, which may be an issue for some buyers, but the box isn't too big a deal.

Processing options with the 1050 are fairly complete -- Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS, and even a proprietary approach to Dolby EX. It does lack true Dolby EX, DTS ES, and Pro Logic II, but it is still a very good piece of equipment. The 65W/channel rating has been widely regarded as a very conservative number -- the 1050 will drive a wide range of speakers very comfortably. The pre-amp outputs also allow for a separate power amp, allowing you to start your upgrade to separates slowly. There are a good assortment of inputs, and the universal remote is pretty good (when I had my 1050, I used the included remote to control the 1050, the TV, VCR, DVD player, and CD changer).

The one issue concerning the 1050 (which I believe also affects a fair number of Onkyo receivers from 2000) is caused by a handful of recent titles using a Dolby Digital EX decoding flag that forces the 1050 to engage its 6.1 Surround mode (the 1050's 6.1 Surround pre-dates the availability of Dolby Digital EX decoding by almost two years). When that happens, data from the surrounds is shifted to the surround back channel. If you don't have a surround back speaker, you could lose some of the surround audio on those discs.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM