Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4554 - 03/11/04 02:58 PM A Sub Woofer Question
John Boy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

This may sound like a stupid question, but does the 1050 need a powered subwoofer?

I have 5 Polk speakers as my "surround" speakers, but didn't buy their sub, as I have a dbx sub.

The dbx has stereo inputs(duplicate black & red connectors, in and out), and I've tried to "jumper" between the connections to try to make it work, with no success.

My mains are set to "small", which, if I understand things correctly, is how they have to be set in order to get a signal to a subwoofer.

Any ideas?

(This is pretty embarassing, as I've had the 1050 for almost a year, and would sure like to start enjoying my movies with some good bass!)

John Boy

#4555 - 03/11/04 03:16 PM Re: A Sub Woofer Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Bah, this isn't a stupid question. It's actually fairly common. First, I assume we're talking about line level inputs (RCA jacks, the preferred method in most cases), not speaker connections, just to be clear. In that case, there are two acceptable approaches. In both cases, you will run a single audio cable from the 1050's sub/LFE output. The first approach is to then get a Y-splitter (single female input, dual male outputs) to connect your sub cable to both the left and right inputs on the sub. The second approach is to just connect the sub cable to either the left or the right input. Typically, the second approach will work just fine, although some manufacturers recommend the first approach. Then make sure the sub is on and the volume control on the sub's amp is set to at least around the mid-point. Also, if there is a bypass on the sub's amp, set it either as high as possible or bypass it entirely (we're letting the 1050 handle that in this case). Once that's done, go to the 1050 and (1) make sure the subwoofer is set to "on," (2) make sure the speakers are all set to "small" (as you have already done), (3) pick the crossover point you want to use (80Hz is probably a good place to start if you aren't sure), and (4) run through the test tones and tweak the subwoofer trim to see what you get.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#4556 - 03/11/04 04:08 PM Re: A Sub Woofer Question
John Boy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks, Gonk, but perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

The dbx sub is *not* a powered unit (an extra "leftover" from my downstairs 4-channel "surround" unit).

Hence, my question, does the 1050 *need* a powered sub, or can an old "dual inlet", unpowered one be used? (In my downstair's setup, I have to run the speaker lines to a duplicate brand sub (well, all 5 of the speakers are dbx, don't know if this matters), and then go to the 4 sattelites (sp?).

I have a 150 watt amp throwing power to the sub downstairs. Do I need to move that to my main system sub upstairs? (where I have the 1050 and 5 Polks), or should I just buy a powered sub?

John Boy

#4557 - 03/11/04 04:17 PM Re: A Sub Woofer Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Now that is a different deal. If you are using an unpowered subwoofer, there are two scenarios. The quickest and easiest solution is to route the speaker cables for your left and right channels from the 1050 to the sub and then from the sub to the left and right speakers, then set the left and right channels to "large" and the sub to "off." This way, the LFE channel on DVD's will be redirected to the mains along with bass from the center and surrounds. You could also use that 150W amp (or pick up a plate amp from someplace like Parts Express) and the passive sub to do what I outlined in my first post. Using the separate amp may give the sub a little more kick, but leaving it all up to the 1050 could potentially be done immediately -- instant gratification.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 212 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM