I would say it's an okay pre-amp for the money. Whether something like a Denon 3803 receiver used only as a pre-amp would be better or not, I don't really know, but it may be something to consider looking into.

While I do like the 950 overall (since it has no internal amps to worry about possible interference or heat), as Kevin pointed out it does have some rough edges to it with its user interface. It also loses a few automated conveniences you might find on a good mid-line receiver.

The buttons on the face plate could have been more refined in terms of a "cheapness-factor" that prevails with those used. On the flip side, the backend has very good quality gold plated jacks everywhere and a detachable IEC power cord (you could upgrade to a shielded boutique brand of IEC compliant cord if you wanted to). Most receivers don't have gold plated connectors or detachable power cords.

I also have a problem with their bass management design for the 5.1 analog inputs. When you turn the 5.1 input toggle switch to OFF, it is not a pure bypass to the volume control as it should have been. Unless you want to potentially foul up your DVD-Audio or SACD system calibration you have to leave the fixed 80 Hz cut off ON (and not use any internal bass management or time delay in the player itself).

Dan