Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4513 - 01/02/04 05:23 PM DVD drop-off, center-rear fix --> bad long term?
USAudio Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hello,
While trying to watch "Finding Nemo" with my son the other day we experienced the sound drop-off issue discussed at length here in this forum.

We remedied the problem as suggested by turning the 1050 rear center speaker ON and turning 6.1 on, even though we have a 5.1 system.

Q1: However, I'm concerned about the long-term effect on my 1050 by sending a signal to a non-existant speaker ... will this harm the 1050 in the long term? I've always heard this was bad as the signal then has no where to go...

Q2: Should I decide to purchase an actual rear-center speaker, I unfortunately have no place to put it (couch backed up against the wall). I may be forced to just place it next to the existing front-center speaker ... thoughts?

[This message has been edited by USAudio (edited January 02, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by USAudio (edited January 02, 2004).]

#4514 - 01/02/04 09:41 PM Re: DVD drop-off, center-rear fix --> bad long term?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Q1: No, it shouldn't hurt your receiver at all.

Q2: I have a similiar problem with my set-up. The solution that I use that works pretty well is to use a set of bipolar speakers running in parallel from the sixth channel. They currently sit on the floor, on either side of my futon. It works well enough in my system to get the center surround feel going. The bipolar speakers allow the sound to be less localized behind my head. It may not be the ideal set-up, but it works for me. Good luck!

Man, do I love that movie! I can't resist showing it to anybody who asks!

#4515 - 01/03/04 12:54 PM Re: DVD drop-off, center-rear fix --> bad long term?
tcumbo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
God, I love this Forum. I had the same problem with Nemo all last night and this morning. I thought for sure my 1050 was screwed up. The 6.1 thing worked perfectly!

Thanks to all!!!

Tom

#4516 - 02/26/04 01:41 PM Re: DVD drop-off, center-rear fix --> bad long term?
JimPurdy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Southlake, TX, USA
I too had the problem with Finding Nemo. I thought it was my DVD player but now I know the real problem. Thanks to all who have helped find the workaround.

#4517 - 02/27/04 10:01 AM Re: DVD drop-off, center-rear fix --> bad long term?
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
I had this problem as well. I think all 1050 owners with no rear center channel are going to experience it at some point. I have decided to add a center channel even though I too have the couch pressed up against the wall. I placed a speaker above my head firing down slightly. It may not be a perfect position but it is working fine. I don't bother to turn on the 6.1 feature unless, like Nemo, the DVD turns it on itself. This way the center info goes to my left and right speakers for 95% of my DVDs and a few use my not so perfectly placed center speaker.

#4518 - 02/27/04 10:45 AM Re: DVD drop-off, center-rear fix --> bad long term?
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
I agree that adding a sixth speaker (at a minumum) is getting to be a requirement. Using 6.1 without the rear center (while it may not hurt the 1050) results in a substantial loss of surround information due to the way this information is extracted. Specifically all of the information that gets sent to the center is dropped and the remaining rear material is lowered by 3 db.

I too have positioning issues but not quite as severe as that you have described due to a split level floor plan). Our couch is against the wall at the split level. I have placed a monopole speaker firing forward into the room about two feet over my head and about 18 inches back on the split level. I leave the 1050 in 6.1 mode all of the time and allow it to turn inself on and off when a signal is present. The results seem satisfactory but I will admit to not have tested against desperado's method.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#4519 - 02/27/04 10:57 AM Re: DVD drop-off, center-rear fix --> bad long term?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It goes against standard recommendation of direct radiating surround back speakers, but when setting up a 6.1 speaker layout with an uncooperative rear wall, I've had some good luck using a lone dipole speaker as surround back to blend it in to the surrounds. Finding just one dipole may be a bit of a trick, however, as they are usually sold in pairs.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM