Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4511 - 12/16/03 11:12 PM wiring sub and sats - suggestion and question
icky_miky Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Selden, NY USA
Until now, I have had my sat/sub package (Polk RM6600) wired per my speaker’s recommendation (i.e., 1050 left/right front surround speaker outs to the sub’s speaker inputs, then the sub’s outputs to the left/right front sats). Bass Management was as follows:

* Fronts set to large.
* Sub off.
* The sub has an internal crossover, which I did my best to configure.

Well I just tried a new a wiring scheme (based on learning from this forum) and I am VERY satisfied. It does pay to experiment.

Now the 1050’s LFE goes to the sub line input and the 1050 left/right speaker outs go directly to the sats. Unfortunately the sub’s line input does not bypass its internal xover so I must turn it all the way up to try to get it out of the way. Would it do any good to get inside the sub and attempt to bypass the sub's xover entirely?

It seems like with the first set up, the front sats and the center speaker were not in "tune". Compared to this new config, the front soundstage was muddy. Could it have anything to do with the different xovers interacting (center/rear just the 1050, left/right fronts 1050 + sub's)?

Sorry to ramble, but its late. Thanks for any advise.
-chris

#4512 - 01/20/04 11:23 AM Re: wiring sub and sats - suggestion and question
vidgamer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Florida, USA
I'm not sure why you want to bypass the crossover, as long as you can turn it up high enough to get it out of the way; even for "audiophile" type reasons, I wouldn't bother. That'd be the last thing I'd tweak! Sounds like you've got it hooked up optimally.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about that sort of thing to know why you got the bad sound going through the sub except maybe they were being passed through a cheap crossover in the process? That would make sense, though (that the sub would want to strip the bass off of the mains, so that you didn't get double-bass).

Meanwhile, set the 1050's xover setting to as low as your mains & center can handle it, so that the sub is playing as low as possible (and leave the sub's crossover as high as possible).

Who's Online
0 registered (), 222 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM