Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#44896 - 01/31/03 08:30 PM Stereo vs Bypass Stereo
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
Could someone explain the difference between using 2 channel stereo with an optical input vs switching to 2 channel stereo in bypass mode when using a CD player. The question I have is my Yamaha 5 disc cd player plays a lot louder and "fuller" when switching to bypass rather than the optical input with the stereo setting.

Why such a difference in sound level and fullness of the sound when using analog. At the same volume levels with the mains set to large it sounds as if my KLF 20s shrunk to computer desktop speakers when changing between digital and analog.

Scott

#44897 - 02/03/03 08:46 PM Re: Stereo vs Bypass Stereo
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

Are there no takers on this issue or am I rambling about something that everyone already knows?

#44898 - 02/03/03 08:54 PM Re: Stereo vs Bypass Stereo
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
2 Channel takes the digital output from your CD player and uses the digital to analog conversion inside the 950.

In Bypass mode, you're taking the analog signal from your CD player which means you're using the convertors in your CD player.

Listen to both. Decide which sound quality you prefer. They're likely to be different. But the difference I think you're describing is largely a volume difference between the devices. Do volume matching and compare the sound to really determine which has the more agreeable timbre.

In my case, I prefer bypass mode to listen to CD playback with my Sony 900NS; but use the digital-in for DVD playback.

#44899 - 02/04/03 08:42 AM Re: Stereo vs Bypass Stereo
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
There is a 6 dB volume difference between analog inputs and digital inputs. I can't find the thread in which this was discussed some time ago.

#44900 - 02/04/03 03:00 PM Re: Stereo vs Bypass Stereo
JAMMINJC Offline
Gunslinger

I recently obtained a new coaxial digital cable. I wanted to burn it in, so I left the 950 on in stereo mode with my mega-changer as the source while at work. My rig is set up as main speakers large and sub as on. I normally play my music in DPLIIM or 5ch Stereo modes. At lunch I was playing some Beck and noticed that the bass was a little thin in stereo mode. My sub was dead silent. I quickly went into the 950’s setup menu and set the mains to small, this brought my sub back into the action. I was under the impression that the sub would be active in stereo mode whether the mains are set to large or small with the sub set to on in the setup menu. Does the double bass thing only come into play using analog inputs?

#44901 - 02/04/03 03:49 PM Re: Stereo vs Bypass Stereo
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If the mains are set to large, then there is no crossover being used (the bass management ignores any crossover point specified for the speaker when it is set to large). This applies to any speaker -- mains, center, or surrounds -- whether the sub is set to on or not.

Double bass can only occur in two instances: 5.1 direct analog input with the bass management switch set to off (crossover is still used to re-direct material below 80Hz to the sub, but speakers get full-range signal), or stereo bypass mode with the mains set to small (the speakers get a full range signal because the signal is bypassing all processing, but a copy of the signal is sent through digital bass management and the sub gets the info below the specified crossover point for the mains).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#44902 - 02/04/03 04:17 PM Re: Stereo vs Bypass Stereo
JAMMINJC Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk, so the only way my sub will work in stereo with digital connection is with the mains set to small?

#44903 - 02/04/03 05:07 PM Re: Stereo vs Bypass Stereo
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Exactly, JAMMINJC. They have to be set to small.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#44904 - 02/04/03 05:23 PM Re: Stereo vs Bypass Stereo
JAMMINJC Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, Gonk. I guess I will leave the mains set to small and tweek the crossover points to see which sounds best for stereo mode.

#44905 - 02/04/03 09:37 PM Re: Stereo vs Bypass Stereo
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

I now think I am having an issue with my crossover settings. When playing 7CH stereo with all speakers set to large I am still getting bass from my sub. I can change the amount of bass by changing the crossover setting on my mains. As I raise the point above my base setting of 60 I get more and more bass from the sub. I thought with speakers set large you would not get double bass unless you use the bypass settings. Plus, how can the crossover be affecting the bass when all speakers are on large.

Also, with all speakers on large when I change my mains to small, the bass from the sub does not change but my surrounds decrease their output by 6db without touching any setting pertaining to the rears (size, crossover). I don't understand how changing the mains from large to small can affect the output of the rear speakers.

Any help is appreciated,
Scott

Who's Online
0 registered (), 303 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM