Thanks a bunch.

For anyone else who's lurking, Ellen has just posted an excellent keymaster (of Gozer ?) file over at the jp1 files section of yahoo groups, here .
If you're not registered, and want to tap into the wonderful world of cheap, programmable remotes, do so (the link may not work if you're not registered). There's a wealth of info there, including all the software and hardware instructions.

I'm probably preaching to the perverted, but for the uninitiated (as I was a week ago), jp1 provides a direct PC connection (unfortunately not compatible with Macs) to one for all and radio shack remotes that allows you to easily completely reprogram them, saving memory and lots of remote teaching command by command. Probably the most useful thing is the ability to program hard button 'discrete codes' for your hard earned home entertainment paraphernalia, such as 'power on' and 'power off' - not just toggle the power button - very useful for macros such as system off where you don't want to toggle something on inadvertently. Although I stumbled onto the fact that the 950 uses a lot of the same signals as the 1050 remote and had a working jp1 device set, Ellen's is a much more elegant keymaster sheet than the one I was working on. Ellen's is designed for the Cinema 7 remote, but the beauty of keymaster is that it can easily convert the codes so that they can be used on many other remotes. The One for all 8 device remote (URC8811) is only $25 (about $40 with JP1 cable from Bluedo ). Many use these inexpensive remotes just to teach another remote, such as the hometheater master MX-500 (or even the original 950 remote). You may already have a programmable remote and not even know it, as I did. The Comcast cable box remote is a cheap One for All remote and can be programmed. Just remember to save its default settings in case you need to revert to them before futzing around with it. Then you'll just need the JP1 cable, which is cheap, or easily constructed your own self. Start here to learn about JP1.

By the way, as Ellen also knows, the Outlaw 950 has discrete on (187) and off (181) codes.

I'm working on a modified keymaster file for my URC8811 which will have functions reassigned to the extra buttons that the Cinema 7+ doesn't have, so you don't have to mess with shift-commands. If anyome wants it let me know and I can post it on the jp1 site at yahoo.

------------------
Home theater: the hobby the whole family can enjoy - whether they want to or not

[This message has been edited by tofufot (edited December 22, 2002).]