Jack Dotson,

I imagine the sound you get from the digital outs of your existing player should be similar to what you'll hear by swapping some other player (a cheaper deck you're considering) for what you have today, as long as you are using the same digital cabling, connected to the same 950/770. However, some people say there are differences in different players with bit timing/clocking of the digital output signals, but I don't know if it's a big deal at least I'm not sure I've personally ever heard a difference in the digital outs, with modern DVD players. But maybe I have a tin ear.

I have PSB Stratus Silvers for my surround channels. To my ears, Stratus Silvers are almost but not quite as warm as your Stratus Gold i's. However the difference in warmth is not great. Admittedly, some would say the Silvers are warm sounding speakers, and I would not disagree.

My mains are not made by PSB. My mains are brighter than even my Silvers, but only slightly. Admittedly my mains are noticably brighter than your Stratus Gold i's. My mains are not considered bright speakers however.

When played through my mains, I think the 950 is slightly bright.

Anyway, one reason I look forward to hearing the new 950 is it may be warmer than the current 950.

But since in your case you want to brighten your sound, you may want to try different interconnects between your 950 and 770. Or try different speaker cables between your 770 and PSB Stratus Gold i.

Good luck!

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited December 28, 2002).]